What is Difforent?

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I have have had Tarantulas for a while now and I know how to take care of them but I just gor my first scorpion (actualy second but I didnt have the first for long) the other day and I know the basics on Scorpions but are there any major difforences between caring for scorps rather than T's, I should know about ? :)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Several things are different. Some Scorpions can kill you, opposed to Tarantulas which aren't considered deadly.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is a tough question to answer. Scorpions are so diverse that I can imagine situations in which the care requirments for a scorpion would more closely resemble a tarantula than another species of scorpion. I'll do my best to go over a few basic differences however.

1. Scorpions in general are much more tolerent of each other than tarantulas. Many species can be kept from birth to death communally. Others can be house communally as adults. Most can be housed as pairs at least, as adults.

2. Scorpions in general won't live as long as tarantulas. Many scorpions have a life span of a few years as oppossed to decades.

3. Scorpions produce live young and care for the babies through the first molt.

4. Scorpions can't climb glass or other smooth surfaces. That should make maintanace easier. They won't be climbing the walls trying to get loose.

5. There aren't as many scorpion species that can be easily handled, as ther are tarantulas. Of coarse the ones that are , I'm thinking Hadogenes species, are some of the most laid back inverts I've ever dealt with. Many are to small and defensive and of coarse a few can kill you.

These are all generalities and you should research any species prior to purchase. As I mentioned, scorpions are very diverse so many species will demonstrate these attributes in much lesser degrees than I mentioned.

I'm sure there are others, this is all I can think of right now.

John

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Thank you a whole bunch! It truely helps. I have an asian forest scorp so if you have any special info about them I would apreciate the advice

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a tough question to answer. Scorpions are so diverse that I can imagine situations in which the care requirments for a scorpion would more closely resemble a tarantula than another species of scorpion. I'll do my best to go over a few basic differences however.

1. Scorpions in general are much more tolerent of each other than tarantulas. Many species can be kept from birth to death communally. Others can be house communally as adults. Most can be housed as pairs at least, as adults.

2. Scorpions in general won't live as long as tarantulas. Many scorpions have a life span of a few years as oppossed to decades.

3. Scorpions produce live young and care for the babies through the first molt.

4. Scorpions can't climb glass or other smooth surfaces. That should make maintanace easier. They won't be climbing the walls trying to get loose.

5. There aren't as many scorpion species that can be easily handled, as ther are tarantulas. Of coarse the ones that are , I'm thinking Hadogenes species, are some of the most laid back inverts I've ever dealt with. Many are to small and defensive and of coarse a few can kill you.

These are all generalities and you should research any species prior to purchase. As I mentioned, scorpions are very diverse so many species will demonstrate these attributes in much lesser degrees than I mentioned.

I'm sure there are others, this is all I can think of right now.

John

when i first started, i heard certain hottentottas could climb glass.... is this true?

some scorpions can kill you, but if i was bit by an S. cal, i'd wanna die.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when i first started, i heard certain hottentottas could climb glass.... is this true?

some scorpions can kill you, but if i was bit by an S. cal, i'd wanna die.

I think it's safe to say no scorpion can climb smooth surfaces. I know hottentottas can't, at least the four species keep can't. I have heard that small bark scorpions can climb up the side of a glass tank were the pieces of glass meet and are glued together. The seam and the glue can provide enough of a foothold. I use seamless plastic containers so I haven't seen this for myself.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No scorpions can climb smooth surfaces like glass or plastic,BUT:

- If you spray with tap water, it leaves chalkstains eventually, scorplings can climb these stains. Spray with demineralized water;
-If you do not clean the cages enough, scorplings can climb dirty surfaces;
- Scorpions can climb the siliconseams, especially the smaller bark scorpions. Seams can be trimmed with a sharp blade, if the enclosure is only used as terrarium.