What inverts should I get next? (Poll)

What should my next 2 inverts be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
So, this will probably be the last poll of this type I make for a while since I already did an A. geniculata vs C. cyaneopubescens poll & an A. geniculata vs N. chromatus poll & the Genic won both. GBB is still under consideration even though it lost, but I'd say the N. chromatus is out of consideration, cool as they might be. I've finally narrowed it down in my head to these 2 choices. I could go for either A. An S. mesaensis (Arizona Dune Scorpion) Sub-adult ($18) + a .5"-.75" A. geniculata sling ($30) + large terrestrial sling cage kit ($11) + $70 shipping (w/ LAG) for a total of $129 from an out-of-state Oregon dealer or B. A 3.5" GBB Female ($210) + a 1.25"-1.5" P. cambridgei (freebie) + $35 shipping (w/ LAG & $15 less than out-of-state shipping) for a total of $245 from an in-state Ohio dealer. Currently I'm leaning slightly towards the S. mesaensis (Arizona Dune Scorpion) + A. geniculata sling cause 1. I like scorpions more overall and if I go Dune Scorpion + Genic I'll end up w/ 3 scorps 1 T total since I already own an H. arizonensis & P. spinigerus. 2. The overall price would be considerably lower. $129 vs $245. 3. While I think a P. cambridgei would be super cool I know they're generally considered more of an "intermediate" rather than "beginner" sort of T due to them being a rather fast arboreal + having more potent venom than your average NW even if not as bad as your average OW. This being the case, I am still ultimately split between these 2 choices & want to know you guy's thoughts on what inverts I should get next? Any help on making a decision would be much appreciated, thanks.

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
So, this will probably be the last poll of this type I make for a while since I already did an A. geniculata vs C. cyaneopubescens poll & an A. geniculata vs N. chromatus poll & the Genic won both. GBB is still under consideration even though it lost, but I'd say the N. chromatus is out of consideration, cool as they might be. I've finally narrowed it down in my head to these 2 choices. I could go for either A. An S. mesaensis (Arizona Dune Scorpion) Sub-adult ($18) + a .5"-.75" A. geniculata sling ($30) + large terrestrial sling cage kit ($11) + $70 shipping (w/ LAG) for a total of $129 from an out-of-state Oregon dealer or B. A 3.5" GBB Female ($210) + a 1.25"-1.5" P. cambridgei (freebie) + $35 shipping (w/ LAG & $15 less than out-of-state shipping) for a total of $245 from an in-state Ohio dealer. Currently I'm leaning slightly towards the S. mesaensis (Arizona Dune Scorpion) + A. geniculata sling cause 1. I like scorpions more overall and if I go Dune Scorpion + Genic I'll end up w/ 3 scorps 1 T total since I already own an H. arizonensis & P. spinigerus. 2. The overall price would be considerably lower. $129 vs $245. 3. While I think a P. cambridgei would be super cool I know they're generally considered more of an "intermediate" rather than "beginner" sort of T due to them being a rather fast arboreal + having more potent venom than your average NW even if not as bad as your average OW. This being the case, I am still ultimately split between these 2 choices & want to know you guy's thoughts on what inverts I should get next? Any help on making a decision would be much appreciated, thanks.
I’d get the S. mesaensis and the A. geniculata bc I just find both AWESOME, a desert hairy scorpion and maybe the coolest, cutest and one of the most impressive tarantulas.

I see the appeal of a GBB but for me at the moment as a beginner I’d rather something bigger and with a big feeding response, that’s always in the open. But with how cute A Genics are too, how can anyone resist them? For me, the GBB can wait, I’m personally not interested in a P. Cambridgei at the moment, I’d rather a C. Versicolour if getting into aboreals, but I feel aboreals can wait for now and start off with terrestrials. Maybe a A. Genic would be easier to manage with the less webbing too when just starting. For me, I’ll get into aboreals later after I gain more experience.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I’d get the S. mesaensis and the A. geniculata bc I just find both AWESOME, a desert hairy scorpion and maybe the coolest, cutest and one of the most impressive tarantulas.

I see the appeal of a GBB but for me at the moment as a beginner I’d rather something bigger and with a big feeding response, that’s always in the open. But with how cute A Genics are too, how can anyone resist them? For me, the GBB can wait, I’m personally not interested in a P. Cambridgei at the moment, I’d rather a C. Versicolour if getting into aboreals, but I feel aboreals can wait for now and start off with terrestrials. Maybe a A. Genic would be easier to manage with the less webbing too when just starting. For me, I’ll get into aboreals later after I gain more experience.
The S. mesaensis is the Arizona Dune Scorpion. The H. arizonensis is the Arizona Desert Hairy.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
The 3.5" confirmed female GBB plus P. cam sling for $210 is the best deal on the board, so if you're basing your decision on $$ alone it's a no-brainer. If you're not and you like scorpions, then get the scorpion bundle.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I’ve had a tiny S. mesaensis sling for like a year and a half and it’s eaten like eight times and not molted once 🤪 get a big one if you can

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
The 3.5" confirmed female GBB plus P. cam sling for $210 is the best deal on the board, so if you're basing your decision on $$ alone it's a no-brainer. If you're not and you like scorpions, then get the scorpion bundle.
Well actually $129 would be a lot less than $245 even if over half of that $129 is due to shipping. I do like scorpions more than Ts generally speaking, but the C. cyaneopubescens & P. cambridgei are both pretty cool spiders so it definitely ain't an easy choice.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Well actually $129 would be a lot less than $245 even if over half of that $129 is due to shipping. I do like scorpions more than Ts generally speaking, but the C. cyaneopubescens & P. cambridgei are both pretty cool spiders so it definitely ain't an easy choice.
I think they mean value for the dollar. I agree and personally think that's a LOT of money for that scorpion seeing as they're domestic and fairly common. I'd pay someone like $20 for one at most, having lived in AZ and knowing what scorpion hunting is like (not difficult).

Disregard everything I just said about the price of the scorpion because I reread your post and see that the scorpion is $18. Still, female GBB and P. cambridgei is a better value and more valuable.

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I’ve had a tiny S. mesaensis sling for like a year and a half and it’s eaten like eight times and not molted once 🤪 get a big one if you can
The ones being offered are Sub-adult so not quite adult size. The Desert Hairy I currently have is somewhere between Sub-adult & Adult as I guess it has roughly 1 or 2 molts left before reaching full size according to the dealer I bought it from. It's decent size though it looks like it could still have a bit of growing to do. So I'd say probably 3/4 of the way grown. The P. spinigerus Sub-adult I got is pretty tiny. I know they only get like 2"-3" total, but the one I got is probably like 1"-1.5". It definitely has some growing to do. Only about 1/2-2/3 of the way from being fully grown. Kinda hoping it doesn't take forever on that one.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Get a P. Cambridgei and a P. Irminia. I had gotten my P. Cambridgei as a freebie and I wasn’t too convinced on keeping it but now that it’s been growing and all. It is by far one of my favs in my collection. Voracious eater and they pack size with every molt. I don’t even recognize my lil dude. Was 0.5 inch when I got it mid September and right now I’m already looking at around 2.5/3 inches. It just molted this week and I haven’t seen it outside it’s burrow but guesstimate once it stretches it’s gonna be on the 3 inch scale. Beautiful lil dude.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
@Dementeddoll I could get a 5" P. cambridgei female for $175 & a 1.5" P. irminia unsexed for $45. That or a 2.5" P. irminia female for $105 & a 1.25"-1.5" P cambridgei unsexed for $30. I know that Psalmos are generally considered more "intermediate" than "beginner" but I think they're super cool and, while they might not be the best beginner Ts, I really rather doubt they're the *worst* either. They might not be a Curly Hair or Red Knee, but they're certainly not an OBT/Togo Starburst/Feather Leg either.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I was referring to value - that's a pretty good price for a confirmed female GBB.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Actually, scratch that to both options. I can get a 6"+ P. cam female from the Oregon dealer since he has one same as w/ the Ohio dealer & then also the S. mesaensis scorpion. I think that's probably what I'll end up doing.

get the P. cam
What has the temperament been like in your experience?

cold blood

Staff member
What has the temperament been like in your experience?
They are bold and fast...fast at everything....one of the very fastest growing species, and one of the most food motivated. Because of this, I always suggest buying slings....message me if you like, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by your options.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
They are bold and fast...fast at everything....one of the very fastest growing species, and one of the most food motivated. Because of this, I always suggest buying slings....message me if you like, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by your options.
Will do 👍

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
R.I.P. His wallet cause gbbs are mega expensive
Not really honestly. They're well established in the hobby and can be found pretty cheap. A sub adult female for a couple hundred bucks isn't insane (in the US anyway... Europeans would have an aneurysm seeing that price) compared to a lot of other species.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Darn. Guess the Oregon dealer is supposedly out of S. mesaensis now. He emailed me. That sucks.