What in the heck is this?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It landed on me, never seen one before and when I grabbed it, it bit me. I know someone on here will know what this crazy looking guy is called.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snakefly, Rhaphidioptera, family Raphidiidae, genus Agulla, female. Cool, we don't get them on the east coast.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What does it eat? Seems like it kills something for food. Its a female to but that's all I know about them.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
What does it eat? Seems like it kills something for food. Its a female to but that's all I know about them.
mainly feeds on small insects such as aphids/catepillars. scurries after smaller food items and catches them. considered very helpful in gardens/orchards cause they eat pests (like aphids). any other questions?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Na I think that covers it. I just had never seen one before, it looked like a termite/fly/cricket. Guess ill let her go.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're fun. I'd only seen two random occurrences before until we started using these weird pyramid traps at work to catch weevils. It seems the traps work best at catching snakeflies. :?

Here I am out in the field, hoping to find some filbert weevils, and instead I have a trap full of five or six angry snakeflies. :D

By the way, lucanidae was able to sex it by the prominant ovipositor. Males lack those.