What if....

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do believe that would be child abuse. {D
Haha, talk about ultimate punishment for the kiddos. All I could think about when I typed that was Borat on Conan asking to 'Harvest pubes for make knit of children's sweater'.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should try some milk with your cheerios, instead of urine.

It's a discussion forum. Not wether or not cheshire thinks its a cool thing to talk about or not. But thanks for your opinion.
You're right...this is a public discussion forum. This means you will eventually come across opinions that aren't yours. Deal with it.

If you want to approach the subject, you need to approach it with a hint of realism.

First off, a spider the size you're fantasizing about will most likely be an obligate burrower. You'll never see it.

Secondly, the spider will most likely need a special garage sized enclosure that could stand a strike from fangs that are probably strong enough to rip through a car and legs that are more than strong enough to pick you up.

Third, the spider will most likely have hideously toxic venom because of the prey it would have to subdue in it's natural habitat (not to mention the predators). It's not like that matters, though because the fangs on this spider will surely be enough to kill you from mechanical damage alone.

Fourth, as much as you want to fantasize your spiders are merely small cats...they are hugely different. Their brains are built to respond to stimuli; very little else. Training them to be docile will be impossible because the second they squeeze out of the eggsack, they already know everything they'll need to know to survive.

Even in animals with what we would consider higher brain function (like tigers), docility training will only go so far...and not nearly as far as it would need to go for a creature of this type.

I'll go over it once again.

1.) Giant pet hole

2.) Far too strong to safely control, too expensive for the normal hobbiest to house with any degree of safety

3.) If you're attacked, you're screwed

4.) You can't make it docile

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're right...this is a public discussion forum. This means you will eventually come across opinions that aren't yours. Deal with it.

If you want to approach the subject, you need to approach it with a hint of realism.
You said it yourself bud. I didn't want a hint of realism. That's why I said it was hypothetical and to inspire discussion. I clearly said with the science and mechanics of why they can't be big aside.

So yeah, when you come parading in to make fun of everything because you're such a smart guy who knows science wouldn't allow what we are discussing, it sounds like someone pissed in your cheerios

I delt with your opinion. I said thanks. And thanks again for more insight into your wonderful world.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To be fair, his wonderful world is the real world. Your the one manufacturing a fantasy spider :p

Dadrulesathome

Arachnopeon
I Had A Thought When I Read This

First off, a spider the size you're fantasizing about will most likely be an obligate burrower. You'll never see it.

Secondly, the spider will most likely need a special garage sized enclosure that could stand a strike from fangs that are probably strong enough to rip through a car and legs that are more than strong enough to pick you up.

Third, the spider will most likely have hideously toxic venom because of the prey it would have to subdue in it's natural habitat (not to mention the predators). It's not like that matters, though because the fangs on this spider will surely be enough to kill you from mechanical damage alone.

Fourth, as much as you want to fantasize your spiders are merely small cats...they are hugely different. Their brains are built to respond to stimuli; very little else. Training them to be docile will be impossible because the second they squeeze out of the eggsack, they already know everything they'll need to know to survive.

Even in animals with what we would consider higher brain function (like tigers), docility training will only go so far...and not nearly as far as it would need to go for a creature of this type.

I'll go over it once again.

1.) Giant pet hole

2.) Far too strong to safely control, too expensive for the normal hobbiest to house with any degree of safety

3.) If you're attacked, you're screwed

4.) You can't make it docile

"TRANSFORMERS MOVIE COMES OUT JULY 4":worship:

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This quote right here makes me wish i made video games... imagine yall a very well made Tarantula video game I dont know what you would do it in but it would have most or all of the tarantulas in the hobby make an appearance from th avics all the way down to the grammastola family. And all the haplos would make an an apperance in the game but they'd jump out on and scare the mess out of you cause they are so fast and if you didnt catch them in a web or a net of some sort they'd kill and you'd have to start all over again lol. Of course the P murinus would have to be on the bad side..... and An adult female parahybana would be like a big boss at the end of every level.. kind of like that spider machine thing in Gears of war....Patent pending lol..:embarrassed:

Naw... make it a simulation type game. They have simulated aquarium fish software now .... where you buy fish, raise them, feed them, breed them, sell them. And zoo type simulations. Why not a tarantula simulation. Imagine crossing all kinds of different tarantulas to create new cool spiders.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Naw... make it a simulation type game. They have simulated aquarium fish software now .... where you buy fish, raise them, feed them, breed them, sell them. And zoo type simulations. Why not a tarantula simulation. Imagine crossing all kinds of different tarantulas to create new cool spiders.
I think that would be so cool. No long waits just to have the... err... female eat the sac. A place where crossing breeds is harmless. Fun fun fun, or maybe I'm just boring {D Oh well cool idea....

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many people debate the possibility they might be able to learn things.

Whatever the size of the brain, a creature that can't see or hear you and cannot either be punished by starvation or pain is untrainable.

People loosing all senses sometimes experience deteriorating cognitivity.

Only animals that are nurtured and groomed by their mother can be trained to seek social contact.Cats devoid of it (either with humans or other cats) quicly become rogue and skittish, some become violent, anything around alive is prey or threat.

You could put a dolphin brain in you giant T, but as long as it remains blind, deaf and alone, it won't develop anything except survival instinct.

So it would have to be big, big brained, but also given good eyes and ears and a skin able to enjoy some petting, so your animal can learn to bond physically with you otherwise than by sticking its fangs in you!!!