What if....

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like tarantulas just as the size are are and i dont want it to change:)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Shelob should have never had to waste more than a few moments dispatching of a fat hobbit with a short sword.
Ah, but remember, they only reason Sam lived, was because of the Light of Elendil (and the Elven Blade).

But they sure could have portrayed Shelob better. Especially since she was supposed to be so clever and like half-tick.

They also didn't show that Golum was friends with her, and why.

-Sean

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That could be dangerous, maybe a T with the size of a cat could eat some guest or friend that goes to my house to visit me, even could eat me, so I wouldn't like to have a big T or that my neighbor had one, imagine if the T runaway... :eek:

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right next to old Tom Bombadil right?

Indeed she was. And it's a shame when the directors don't portray the characters as the author had intended. Shelob should have never had to waste more than a few moments dispatching of a fat hobbit with a short sword.
Um, Tom Bombadil would have to be way over Shelob. Shelob was ,I believe, one of Ungoliants progeny, but I forget. The spiders of middle earth were just about level to the dragons if not lower... Still its been a while since I have read my Silmarillon and its ilk. But if I remember, Tom wasnt even troubled nor affected by the One ring...

But I digress, going back to topic, IMO 4-10 foot spiders are still formidable creatures. I dont think they can ever rid themselves of the feral nature they have. These are animals that would feed when it's hungry in spite of us feeding them...

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, but remember, they only reason Sam lived, was because of the Light of Elendil (and the Elven Blade).
Damn elven vials. *shakes fist*

In the words of dear Smeagol; "Stupid fat hobbit!"

Um, Tom Bombadil would have to be way over Shelob.
What I said was in regards to the most powerful creatures. The story would leave you to believe he was one of the most powerful beings because of the ring having no effect on him. But his careless demenor was attributed to that.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Um, Tom Bombadil would have to be way over Shelob. Shelob was ,I believe, one of Ungoliants progeny, but I forget. The spiders of middle earth were just about level to the dragons if not lower... Still its been a while since I have read my Silmarillon and its ilk. But if I remember, Tom wasnt even troubled nor affected by the One ring...
The Ring wouldn't have effected Shelob either. Or, even if it did, she'd only become more powerful. The Ring is only bad to someone who wants to stay good. :p

Sauron never even looked in her direction because he knew she could stop anything that tried to pass. She was like the baddest creature in Middle Earth.

-Sean

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Ring is only bad to someone who wants to stay good. :p
That is it, in a nut shell.

Back OT;

I would like to hear more on-topic answers. Not many really responded to the questions directly.

I see a lot of people saying they wouldn't like to have a huge T because it would hurt them etc. The basis of this hypothetical situation was that they were more of personable pets. Thus "what if", as the name of the thread states.

Everyone is too focused on the way normal T's are. We already know they couldn't get this big because of thier internal fluid system and book lungs. So with all that aside, the current temperment and instinct are out the door as well. This is the difference between siberian tigers and your domesticated calico house cat.

These "huge T's" would supposedly have the temperment; as stated before of a 'feral pet cat' or similar. Such as bob cats, servals and so forth. There are a lot of these pets, and some do well in houses, some spray furniture or claw it up. Some are very lovable and do about as well as domesticated cats. So translate this behavior to a tarantula. It has been known that feral cats, when disciplined can get nippy with thier owners. Same goes here, if you spank your giant T it may get defensive, dependent on its personality.The risk of you getting bitten by it would be the same chance someone gets mauled by their pet serval.

Examples of a few good and bad things-

Bad Things;
Webbing up your furniture, trying to 'mark its territory'. Pooping in non designated places etc.

Good things;
For example; A huge T that came to your lap for a pet (no giant urticating hairs) and it nudged into your pet like a cat does. Keeping your home pest free.

So lets go off these more detailed factors.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you ever been bitten by a normal cat, much less something bigger with claws like serval? Nuh uh, I'm not letting a giant T in my house if it had an attitude like a cat, i had a stray for a pet it got mad i wasn't petting it and went after my knee cap, i don't want that cat to have 5-6" fangs with venom and extra legs.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you had a G.rosea that size, she wouldn't be a pet rock, no - she'd be a pet BOULDER! {D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I always thought it would be cool to have a pet bobcat, serval, or mountain lion. Not because of the 'cool' factor, but because I love wild animals, and believe I could raise one to be friendly.

BTW: You know Terri Irwin used to raise cougars after their lives in acting.

A giant tarantula, (all physical problems aside) wouldn't work because their instinct is not to live peacefully with other animals. They'd see you as food, or defend their territory. So, couldn't live in the house. (But, if you'd give them a developed brain, maybe human relations could be imprinted in a spiderling).

But even so, if such a huge tarantula existed, it would be like the 'Green Anaconda' of arachnid keeping. And I'd still have one. {D

-Sean

Dadrulesathome

Arachnopeon
Chicken and the egg thing

Where did Shelob come from? Bakaaaaak!!

The Ring wouldn't have effected Shelob either. Or, even if it did, she'd only become more powerful. The Ring is only bad to someone who wants to stay good. :p

Sauron never even looked in her direction because he knew she could stop anything that tried to pass. She was like the baddest creature in Middle Earth.

-Sean

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why do people think of these things?

I've honestly always wondered this and it makes no sense whatsoever.

What could be better than an animal that is small enough to keep on your desktop, comes in thousands of different color schemes and an even greater variety of behaivior, and is from a group of animals that not only are misunderstood but are still being discovered?

I know!

I'll fantasize about it being the size of a small car!

Not only that, I'll give it the brain of a kitten and we'll hold hands and run through the dasies together!

Even as a hypothetical question, it's a stupid one.

Last edited:

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'd be able to have a T if they were intelligent enough to follow, so I'm game.

I'd say it would have to be devoid of U-hairs though.... They're bad enough tiny.

And size wouldn't matter. I'd prefer it small I think. A main diet of bugs is useful, and something I can easily stomach.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In history there have been larger spiders or at least spider-like critters.... Megarachne servinei lived 300 million years ago if you believe the scientists point of view. It supposedly had a body that could reach longer than half a meter and a leg span that could get over 20 inches. I have seen other paleontologist accounts that state a size that was even larger.. However, over time overall size has decreased for whatever reason. Not only in spiders but just about every category as well... from a very novice point of view anyway...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In history there have been larger spiders or at least spider-like critters.... Megarachne servinei lived 300 million years ago if you believe the scientists point of view. It supposedly had a body that could reach longer than half a meter and a leg span that could get over 20 inches. I have seen other paleontologist accounts that state a size that was even larger.. However, over time overall size has decreased for whatever reason. Not only in spiders but just about every category as well... from a very novice point of view anyway...
If you're interested in learning why, search for Jon Harrison when you get the chance. There's some popular level articles that talk a little bit about the experiments he's doing to figure out why this is.

Harrison's works will be the first thing I'll look for when I have access to the proper databases.

This thread is a good start if you're interested in the subject.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why do people think of these things?

I've honestly always wondered this and it makes no sense whatsoever.

What could be better than an animal that is small enough to keep on your desktop, comes in thousands of different color schemes and an even greater variety of behaivior, and is from a group of animals that not only are misunderstood but are still being discovered?

I know!

I'll fantasize about it being the size of a small car!

Not only that, I'll give it the brain of a kitten and we'll hold hands and run through the dasies together!

Even as a hypothetical question, it's a stupid one.
You should try some milk with your cheerios, instead of urine.

It's a discussion forum. Not wether or not cheshire thinks its a cool thing to talk about or not. But thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd be able to have a T if they were intelligent enough to follow, so I'm game.

I'd say it would have to be devoid of U-hairs though.... They're bad enough tiny.

And size wouldn't matter. I'd prefer it small I think. A main diet of bugs is useful, and something I can easily stomach.
Oh come now Scott, U-hairs are fun! If you have a big T with urticating hairs you could harvest them and made children's sweaters!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're interested in learning why, search for Jon Harrison when you get the chance. There's some popular level articles that talk a little bit about the experiments he's doing to figure out why this is.

Harrison's works will be the first thing I'll look for when I have access to the proper databases.

This thread is a good start if you're interested in the subject.
Ahhh right.... I forgot about oxygen levels in the carboniferous period... good point...

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sure, think of the new opportunities.

Let some cat sized "T's in a place that has rat problems. Rats exterminated, cat sized "t's" well fed. It's a win win scenerio. lol How to retrive them?

Pigeons could meet a similar fate.

One downside to keeping cat sized "T's" in your home.

Preparing for a moult, webs off the bathroom from rest of house. D'oh!