What if....

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they would for sure replace hunting dogs. you wouldnt need a gun, just set the spider loose on it. and gaurd t's would be really affective. take your h. gigas fishing, no more broken lines.
i have to agree i think they would be more like cats, very independant and hard to train. play time with the little ones would be interesting. can you just see trying to contain 200 slings that acted like kittens and were 10 inches long:eek: .

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm... think of it.... urtricating hairs that can impale rather than irritate... dry bites that can mangle and cripple... (what shots do you take for a spider bite?) web mats/ sperm webs in every room... Food boluses hidden under beds, sofas etc... waiting for it to finish molting so you can put it back in its room... all the milky white poo in your sofas, beds etc.... And where is skippy, your new beagle?... and how about being pawed awake in the wee hours by 12 foot T. blondi with a sweet disposition letting you know its hungry... your wife telling you to put out the 10 pound exuvium after sparky, finished his moult... hoping to get some sleep at night ever since your 6 foot female smithi matured when every mature male smithi in the neighborhood keeps pounding the ground with their palps... the stridulating sound of a pogo, your 12 foot T. blondi while he is beeing harrassed by rhe neighborhood cat named whiskers... and the law suit filed by same neighbior the day after... all these and more!!!! haha... dang am glad they are the size they are...:D

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm... think of it.... urtricating hairs that can impale rather than irritate...
We are talking 4 to 10 foot animals here, not 80 foot beasts with inch thick hairs. Shelob? "When she kills them, we takes the precioussss."

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would want a 6 foot Stromatopelma calceatum. Could you imagine watching that run?

I've always wanted a large jumping spider. Like an 8 to 12 inch jumper.

How about a 4 foot solifugid? Goodbye world.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would want a 6 foot Stromatopelma calceatum. Could you imagine watching that run?
It would be even neater to watch it run to tackle and bite a burglar after he discovered, to his utter dismay that he had chosen to rob the wrong house.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm id like a 12 foot H. lividium
that big hole in the living room floor is the REAL Temple of Doom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think its def possible for there to be some 15" spider out there unfound yet.having somehting that big and also docile now thats not gonna happen hehe

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think its def possible for there to be some 15" spider out there unfound yet.having somehting that big and also docile now thats not gonna happen hehe
hmm i dont know. there are lots of thigns that are big and docile. Now if you want to really be afraid , imagine a 200 pound chihuahua. Now thats something to fear.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now, I figure the urticating hairs would be like porcupine quills. Porcupine quills that can get launched across a room and get imbedded in your face. Also, I don't feel like doing the math, but if you increased the T. Blondi to the body size of a house cat, how large would its fangs be? 3-6 inches long? Depending on the size, a bite in the wrong spot would penetrate your heart or cause severe organ damage. Any envenomation seems like it could kill, and a bite ot an arm or lege could likely penetrate the appendage and travel all the way through leaving two gaping holes in your arm or leg. Your talking about an animal with the ability to completely maim you with no second thoughts.

I think the idea of a giant docile tarantula is cool, but keep me the hell away from it. I can only assume that one with a 10' legspan would be large enough to eat people. [Not just children, but full grown adults.]

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd train it like a horse, and ride around on it ! If I lived 200 or more years ago I'd have the best cavalry unit ever ! Fast and dangerous !

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
I had a dream I woke up and one of my tarantulas was moulting and it was too big for its cage. It was the size of a cat, when It stopped moulting, I freaked out, didnt know what to do, and then I woke up. It scared the <edit> out of me. Would you put it on a leash and take it for walks through the park ?

Last edited by a moderator:

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could you imagine a 16" OBT? Damn 2" scare the hell out of me now, lol

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shelob was actually very smart. One of the most powerful creatures in Middle Earth according to Tolkien.

-Sean
Right next to old Tom Bombadil right?

Indeed she was. And it's a shame when the directors don't portray the characters as the author had intended. Shelob should have never had to waste more than a few moments dispatching of a fat hobbit with a short sword.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always hoped Jumping Spiders got larger than they are. With there big googley eyes. A huge tarantula would be awesome. One would have one heck of a time convincing one's parents to let you keep a huge T like that.

Perhaps it would be a new species all together. A very definite pattern on it's back, but this one would be different, it's evolved to change the pigmentation in it's carapace to its surroundings. :eek:

Oh, and yes; fat hobbits should die.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've always hoped Jumping Spiders got larger than they are. With there big googley eyes.
I would agree a huge jumping spider would be really cool. This is probably the only true spider I find interesting. They are very inquisitive and have odd mannerisms.

I could just see a stray cat walking by your house, and suddenly a 3 foot blur flys across and snatches the cat up and jumps up to the roof to feast on its meal.