What if - worst case scenario

Morr

Arachnopeon
Greetings all,
it's been quite a while since I last posted, but I've been reading the threads here nonetheless.

I've been thinking lately, and just thoigh I'd ask you guys about advice on what to do, if the worst thing happened and one got nailed by a T. I'm really not that worried that I'll ever get bitten, but it WOULD be nice to know any tips n' trix, just in case =)

I only have one T at the moment, a 5-6" female A Geniculata. I'd never, ever try to handle her, but most times I attempt to, say, change her water, it turns out to take quite a bit longer than I expected. I wouldn't call her aggressive.. but she pounces on just about ANYthing, which leads to.. interesting situations, now and then. Once, for instance, I managed to get her water bowl, only to find her standing in its spot, noticing fresh, non-webbed-up ground, when I was about to put it down in her terrarium again. After having read that gently stroking their abdomes with a brush often makes them move, I did just that... for two seconds, before she turned around, lightning-fast, and lunged at the brush. SHe actually jumped, and I did not even react before she was well beyond the brush in her jump... so, to make a long story short, I realized that it actually MIGHT one day turn out for the worse.

So, let's say I did got nailed, by my genic or in a week or more, by my Chaco (yay!)... what is there to do? Run screaming to the hospital? Hold the bite-wound under cold water? Try to press the poison out? Is it a good idea to take painkillers, or something?

Ok, kinda boring with only text, so I'll throw in a pic of Hungry.. behold the monster = )

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, don't really know what I would do either really. First of all I would scream like a girl and run away. After that, who knows?

I think it would all depend on the tarantula to be honest. If it was one of my Ts like my B.smithi, G.rosea or my Curly I think I would probably just close the lid and wait for the pain. If their venom is not too strong anyway there's probably no point in going over the top about it. Maybe just take an ibuprofen as it is an anti-inflammatory. Maybe also take an anti-histamine tablet. I read that some people find those useful as it dampens down the reaction.

If my P.regalis EVER bit me I would seek medical advice straight away. Pokey venom is supposed to be pretty nasty and I would not want to wait and see if it was a dry bite. Straight to A&E. Mind you, if I ever have to move my Pokey from his container he spends a few minutes in the fridge just to slow him down. Then, when everythings ready I move him as quick as possible before he comes round. He's only about 1.5 - 2" anyway but he is superfast and will only get faster. And I never go near him while I can see him out an about doing things. Only in the day when I can see him resting in his webbed up bark and then only when absolutely necessary.

Anyway, hope that was of some use. Like I say, it depends on the spider as far as I can see.

Nice picture by the way. Hehe, it looks like your T is wearing a "fashionable" tie in that pic.......

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
You gotta check out the first hand story on a Poke bite in this months ATS Forum.

You need to join to get the online version but it seems well worth it for anyone keeping Ts.

http://www.atshq.org/

Jeff

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I read an account of a Pokey bite a couple of days ago. Not something I fancy.

I have total respect for these spiders. I am not interested in handling any of my spiders, especially not Jerry my P.regalis.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i couldn't access the story, but i think my imagination will forever deter me better than any realism would.

nothing in the world could persuade me to keep hots of any kind. the risk to yourself and those around you are simply too great for me to take upon that type of responsibility.

nevermind the insurance costs. :D

(and the antivenom of course...)

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Very nice pic of your white knee. I told myself I wasnt going to buy any more anytime soon until I got my Versicolor but I dont think I can hold off on buying a Giant White knee they are so amazing. About the whole Bite situation there are a bunch of bite reports on this board so if you havent checked them out yet i would. I have never been bitten by any of mine "yet" and the only one i have handled is my adult pinktoe, i tried holding my baby pinktoe but she didnt seem to interested to venture out onto my hand, she didnt rear up or anything it just seemed she didnt like the smell of me and decided to go the other way.

Anyways good luck with your T and hopefully you dont get bit.

peace

TheDon

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the spidery sense, such creatures (spiders) with better-than-average venom (worse for you).

EDIT: But does no one know any basic steps to take when bite has occured?
I read somewhere pouring hot water on the site of bite would help neutralizing venom, just I can't remember which kind of spider-venom that was.
Have read elsewhere that cold-water on the site-of--bite is good because it hinders the venom from flowing around and spreading.
For various fast-acting venoms, pressure should be put around the wound, and sometimes on it.
These are the kinds of things I would like to know at least, what applies to T's ?

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
fyi...

as far as reptiles go, it's different than with Ts.

any T has venom...the worst ones are labelled as 'hots' as stated previously.

however, with reptiles, usually any with venom are labelled as 'hot'. this is not completely exclusive, as with some rear-fanged snakes that are not considered dangerous like the hognose.

basically, if someone says it's 'hot', it's dangerous to people.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As I am sitting here drooling for your geniculata, I have to remind myself- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's tarantula.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, now it comes in --

eating a mealworm nonetheless..

granted, i cant get any of my guys (well a couple only) to eat mealworms.

good pic by the way!
peace
dave

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Morr-

Go to the book review section - read. :D

Dario

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, if this is an indication of how much people know about general care of bites here..(though of course, that goes for me too)..

So far sleaf is the only one who has given some sort of advice.

Morr

Arachnopeon
Hello again,
thanks for the replies, and the comments on the pic/tarantula :)

I have read as many bite reports as I have gotten my hands on, and not found the answers I seek, really, which is why I started this thread. But I guess not very many people have been bitten, and the few who has, probably didn't to too much about it.

Thanks, sleaf, for the advice. I agree, it would depend on what kind of tarantula it was.. not much to do if it was a rosie or something, but one of the more poisonous... really don't know quite what I'd do. I've read that Aconthoscurrias have more than average poisonous poison, if that makes sense, which kind of worries my, so I guess it wouldn't take much pain/nausea in that case before I ran to the hospital... not to mention if it was a pokey, yikes!
Anyway, noone else knows any other things to do, like lay down and keep the bitten part high or anything like that?

Hmm... sleaf's talk about his regalis made me think, those of you with, say, pokeys, with the most hazardous poison coupled with incredible speed and such... how do you go about cleaning the water bowl etc? Thick gloves and long tongs? :confused: :)

Anyways, to make this not only a shameless bump, here's Hungry looking.. well, rather friendly :) :

Thanks!

/Morr

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by Morr
Hello again,
thanks for the replies, and the comments on the pic/tarantula :)

I have read as many bite reports as I have gotten my hands on, and not found the answers I seek, really, which is why I started this thread. But I guess not very many people have been bitten, and the few who has, probably didn't to too much about it.

/Morr
Here is the link to Darrin's bite report when he got nailed by his P.regalis...

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/bite.html

As for your 2 if they ever get you, I believe the biggest problem would likely be the 2 deep puncture wounds and assocciated bleeding, localized pain and maybe some stiffness in the area later on.

Great looking T, I hope mine grows up to look that fine

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not a DR., nor do I play one on TV, but here is some standard bite advise from a certified Red Cross First Aid Instructor. There are some EMTs on this board...maybe they'll chime in.

Lets pretend you got nailed by something really hot, on the first joint closest to your hand, of one of your fingers.

1. Remember to keep the joint (& yourself) as totally immobile as possible.
2. Remember to keep the extremity below heart level.
3. Spiral Wrap a very tight ribbon of cloth, 2-4 in thick on your wrist to slow blood flow....NOT stop it!!! this is not serious enough to risk loosing your hand.....
4. immobilize entire hand and wrist by splinting. Get a sturdy broom handle, vacuum cleaner tube or ...something.... and strap it to the underside of your hand, spiral wrapping tightly, starting toward the heart and progressing to the extremities (exactly opposite direction of a sprain).
5. Submerge entire hand and forearm in ICE.
6. Take an anti infamatory like ibuprophen, and an antihistamine like benedryl.
7. Seek medical attention immediately
8. Cry like a leeetle girl, beg for morophine and Mamma.

I advise everybody to read a first aid manual and to go to the Red Cross and get a first aid certificate. It's one of those things that always seems to come in handy.

Kelly O