What if MM g. Pulchra and MF g. Pulchripes cross breeds?

Jiggs04

Arachnopeon
What if MM g. Pulchra and MF g. Pulchripes cross breeds? What do you call the slings? :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
mutants worthy of the freezer.
hybrids are bad for the hobby in every way, they offer nothing good.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What if it happens in the wild?
Wildly, wildly unlikely. Even if it did happen, the chance of an individual surviving to adulthood is quite rare, let alone it being able to breed. A breedable hybrid in the wild is so rare that it's not even really worth discussing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A little bit of education.

People cross breed dogs and cats all the time. It's so commonplace that people think this rule applies to all animals, but understand that all domesticated dogs and cats are the same species. A Chihuahua and a pit bull are literally the same species, they simply look different.

With tarantulas, there are no breeds. There are species. What you brought up are two species from the same genus. Breeding them would be akin to breeding a lion and a tiger - they're related, but they're not the same animal. Their offspring will dilute the bloodline at best and actually have genetic disorders at worst. That's why you're getting such harsh answers here, because this hobby relies on captive breeding. If someone were to do this, we would suddenly have hundreds of slings per sac that will inevitably breed with pure blood in the hobby.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Cross breeding surely happens to some extent, but as far as I know the offsprings are sterile. Also, different sp. of Ts generally live in different parts.. Pulchra being native to Uruguay and Brazil, whereas pulchripes resides in Paraguay and Argentina.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What if MM g. Pulchra and MF g. Pulchripes cross breeds? What do you call the slings? :)
Nobody wants FrankenTs in the hobby, people that do that are irresponsible to say the least.

I take it you made some? If so, keep them where you live, we don't need them here.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You would have something that is not Pure-blood and we don't stand for that sort of riff-raff around here.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
I don't think you should kill them. Just sell them as hybrids.
This could still lead to the possibility of being introduced into the hobby and being sold under different names, namely the parent sp., which could still lead to polluting the pure bloodlines. Not worth the risk.
At the absolute least, keep them to your self and kill any you don't plan on raising until it dies of either old age or other causes. Better just to not take chances though.. Think of the whole.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Even if they are initially labeled as hybrids, there is no guarantee that all subsequent owners will do the same, that the hybrids won't also be bred, or that any second-generation hybrids will all be labeled correctly.

In short, it is almost certain that successful interbreeding would (due to dishonesty and/or ignorance) eventually result in hybrids being incorrectly sold (and bred) as one of the parent species. This is why hybridization is discouraged even though not all people intend to deceive people or contaminate the gene pool.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I agree with @Ungoliant .. People are not to trust. Some don't care if they mess up the genetics of the future tarantulas, as long there are cool colorful hybrids they wish to sell for large sums of money.. Which to me is ridiculous. Why pay more for a hybrid? Pure species are much more valuable..

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cross breeding surely happens to some extent, but as far as I know the offsprings are sterile. Also, different sp. of Ts generally live in different parts.. Pulchra being native to Uruguay and Brazil, whereas pulchripes resides in Paraguay and Argentina.
The babies will reach adulthood and are capable to reproduce. Sterile not true it's been proven.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
While I don't encourage this at all, I'd be super curious to see pictures of adults if it had already been done.

Cross-breeding throws a major wrench into the workings of the hobby. To maintain good breeding stock so we can keep enjoying these awesome animals, their species need to remain separate and unmuddled.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i disagree. thoughts like that will lead to there being only one Brachypelma in the hobby, Brachypelma sp mutt.
Kind of like now. Try finding a proper B. vagans, B. boehmei, or B. albopilosum. Not impossible, but the mutts outnumber the propers by far.