What Happened to the Scorpion Trade?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It’s kinda nice this thread got revived. We’re still in the same situation and some of these breeders aren’t even around any more. Going back on what was said, I agree that the right thing to do is attempt to breed any of the species we have in the hobby. As John said, we took advantage of the wide array of scorpions available a few years ago. But we can’t force people to breed either. Breeding should however be made as easy as possible and encouraged. Maybe a sticky on successful breeding reports, a how-to on how to breed scorpions preferably written up by a known breeder, a general sexing thread. I know there’s that one thread from years ago that shows specifically how to sex certain species but I think there could be a general one talking traits that most sexually dimorphic scorpions have. For example bark scorpions in general males are thinner with longer segmented tails, females of most species tend to be wider and bigger than the males, males of most species will have longer and more pectine teeth, also in general males pectines will be v shaped (/\) while the females will have that gap in between (/ \). I know these don’t apply to all species but whatever…just my idea.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It’s kinda nice this thread got revived. We’re still in the same situation and some of these breeders aren’t even around any more. Going back on what was said, I agree that the right thing to do is attempt to breed any of the species we have in the hobby. As John said, we took advantage of the wide array of scorpions available a few years ago. But we can’t force people to breed either. Breeding should however be made as easy as possible and encouraged. Maybe a sticky on successful breeding reports, a how-to on how to breed scorpions preferably written up by a known breeder, a general sexing thread. I know there’s that one thread from years ago that shows specifically how to sex certain species but I think there could be a general one talking traits that most sexually dimorphic scorpions have. For example bark scorpions in general males are thinner with longer segmented tails, females of most species tend to be wider and bigger than the males, males of most species will have longer and more pectine teeth, also in general males pectines will be v shaped (/\) while the females will have that gap in between (/ \). I know these don’t apply to all species but whatever…just my idea.
GS has some of these on here, and scorpionforum for various Parabuthus and Androctonus.

Some, like gracilis and sculpts, you dont even have to try or know what youre doing to get a good brood.

we dont have a good section for it. i'd be willing to share my experiences and breeding reports.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People need to buy in groups or nothing... and not kill them via husbandry issues. Seriously, lol

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed this as well. I come on here not as often but man I thought exactly what the OP said in his post. I just hope Andro sp never gets banned! Favorite species.

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been away for a while, but it sure looks like things are the same around here. I was really hoping Parabuthus would expand in the U.S, but you know how that went. I will probably be getting out of the trade this next year as kids will be in my future so I will be parting with my latest schlechteri brood and wait for my villosus oranje to have her brood then I'm calling it quits totally. Fingers crossed lol

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
well i thought i should let you guys know i will be starting a small invert breeding bussiness by breeding babycurus jacksoni, Rhopalurus junceus, asian forest scorpions, possibly emperors and other inverts like centipedes,milipedes etc.