What happends if i get bit?

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey every one. I just got my first two T's. They are a Haplopelma longipes - Vietnamese Tiger - 5” and a Pterinochilus lugardi - Dodoma Starburst Baboon
Any way the Tiger almost bite me. It was very close. What would happen if i got bit by one or the other? I am not allergic to any bee or spider venom as far as i know (and ive been bit by a good amount of them) so I'm not worried about allergic reaction's but what is the normal reaction for those spiders?
Thanks,
~Samuel

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For Old World tarantulas? It would hurt. Possibly a lot, for several days or a week. That's about it. (Mind you, when I say a lot, I mean a lot. I've seen grown men admit to curling up on the floor in tears as a result of Haplopelma lividum. Those also give you some lovely lasting excruciatingly painful joint and muscle cramps.)

Were they New Worlders, it'd be MUCH weaker than that.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The lugardi will probably hurt like crap. Its a Pterinochilus, and tends to have more profound effects than just mechanical damage of the fangs and local swelling.
I've never been bitten by a Pterinochilus though, so I can't say first hand.

Don't worry about an allergic reaction, chances are like none.

-Sean

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, as said above, it'd be quite hurtful. Probably a 9 and a half out of 10 on the tarantula scale. not to mention, they aren't the best beginner sp.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not to mention, they aren't the best beginner sp.
Now there's an understatement. {D

I totally missed where the OP said these were his first tarantulas. To be honest, man...you're crazy. That's like getting your first snakes and it's a cobra and a black mamba. :D

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Chances are, if that Hap got its fangs into you, you'd get bit more than once. Many times I've heard of people, my husband included, being bitten by Haps repeatedly before the spider decided to detach its self from their flesh.

Get a good pair of 12 inch rubber tipped forceps and *always* keep one eye on the spiders.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Getting bit isn't going to be comfortable, but you can avoid it. Just be careful, respect the grumpiness of the Haplopelma, invest in a nice set of 12" tongs, and be mindful of what you're doing around her. She's not the best beginner T, but the challenges of keeping her aren't insurmountable either. Personally, I like the fiesty ones the best. :) Congrats and welcome to the group.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bite

Ive read of people being bit by different old-worlders and most report bad-to-excruciating pain for 2 days or more, possibly with very bad muscle cramps. If you would get venom injected, not a dry-bite, then you are in for some pretty serious pain.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey thanks every one for the posts. I'm not too worried about the pain i can stand that but i just wanted to make sure there is not a chance of any lasting damage. :) I know they are not the best "beginner" T's but i could not bring my self to get a G rosea. They are just way to commin. These guys were offered for a trade on roaches so i did not have to pay which was fine with me. I already have the 12" tweezers thanks to keeping a ton of snakes.
Right now any info i can get would be a help so keep posting away!!!!
Thanks again guys,
~Samuel

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pain

I have a pretty high pain tolerance, as Im susceptible to blinding headaches that, when happen, can last for up to a week, and rate between 8 to 9 on a 10 scale. So I might not seek ER treatment for a large pokie bite( I have 6 of them, some of my favorite Ts), but I definitely dont want to get bit and see how bad it could be.:eek:

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So your saying that a bite from the baboon could send me to the ER???? I'v never heard that. That is quite scary. Hope i dont get bit.
Does any one else have any more info?
~Samuel

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think that the ER would be well equiped to do anything at all. They probably wouldn't know a thing about what bit you. Maybe they could offer you some antibiotics to prevent secondary infection or maybe a pain killer, but basically you'd probably just have to suffer through it. Have you read any of the the posts in the bite reports section of this forum? Some people experiece symptoms from a strong tarantula bite many months after being bitten.

i could not bring my self to get a G rosea. They are just way to commin.
well, you're missing out. Rosies are great. Just wait till they become protected by CITES then everyone will be so excited to get their hands on one.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pain meds

Yes, thats what I meant about going to the ER, not because the bite would be life-threatening, but depending on pain-tolerance you might get some relief from pain meds. Also some report significant swelling in the affected limb, or area of bite, and the ER might help with that. But basically, its true, you'll just have to endure it.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey thanks every one for the posts. I'm not too worried about the pain i can stand that but i just wanted to make sure there is not a chance of any lasting damage. :) I know they are not the best "beginner" T's but i could not bring my self to get a G rosea. They are just way to commin. These guys were offered for a trade on roaches so i did not have to pay which was fine with me. I already have the 12" tweezers thanks to keeping a ton of snakes.
Right now any info i can get would be a help so keep posting away!!!!
Thanks again guys,
~Samuel
When people talk about OW bites as "excruciating" in the pain department, they are not exaggerating. My husband was bitten by his mature male H. lividum once. The spider, who was placid as could be, raced up his forceps and nailed him on the back of his hand and held on for dear life. The spider held onto my husband's hand for a good 15 seconds, the whole time injecting venom. My husband bled like a sieve. His hand swelled up twice its normal size for 3 or 4 days and moving his hand was nearly impossible without sending shooting pain straight up through his arm. He didn't go to the hospital or anything and is not allergic, however, he does have an immense tolerance to pain. He said the pain, especially the first day was about an 8 on a 1 to 10 scale, 10 being the worst.

See, the thing with many OW tarantulas is, unlike NW, who tend to "sink" their fangs in, OW's tend to "slam" their fangs in and they don't "bite and run"...thus, the more epidural damage a person takes and the more likely to have venom and copious amounts injected.

The species you've chosen are extremely fast and if they so choose, you won't have time to react before they nail you.

They're great spiders, just make sure you have the proper equipment and that you use your head....and your eyes. "Always" know where the spiders are before you open their lids and *always* keep one eye on them whenever you're working in their containers.
A trip to the ER....probably not likely. As was already said, hospitals aren't equipped to handle tarantula envenomations so that wouldn't do you a whole lot of good. Now if you had Poecliotheria....going to the ER might be a wise idea, seeing as how their venom can cause muscle seizures for months after an envenomation.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok i see. Thanks very much. So it basically will hurt like he*l for a couple of days but wont do any lasting damage like say a hemotoxic rattlesnake bite would.
Do you suggest i sell/trade them and buy something less potent? As of right now the baboon has ate a lobster roach and the H. longpipes just walked around his tank like he is very pissed off.
Thanks every one you have been great helps.
~Samuel
PS. Maybe i should have got a G. rosea after all

Last edited:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suggest to do that especially if you're really concerned about getting tagged by both of your Ts. I would of gotten a rosea,smithi, any Brachy, any Aphonopelma(except sp. "catemaco") and any other grammostola in terms of beginning terrestrial species..it's your decision and your choice, just a few words from my view and perspective. Good luck with everything!:)

-Andy

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah. I have a big G. rosea and a juvie G. aureostriata, I love them both and think they're plenty interesting. :)

I also have a C. cyaneopubescens and L. parahybana. OP, if you want something sassy that won't leave you begging for superstrong pain meds at the ER, New Worlders like these two are good bets. A bit nervous, especially in the first case--the second just doesn't realize you aren't food. ;) A. geniculata is another big monster. Mind you, they will STILL hurt, and the giants like the para and genic would leave some seriously deep wounds that would need to be watched for infection, but. Again, not "oh god doctor give me some morphine before I cut my arm off" bad. :) Also much less likely to bite in general, because NWers usually prefer to kick itchy hairs at you instead.

A. seemani apparently tends to be nervous, I know my friend's is pretty crazy.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. I might end up doing that but for now i would like to find out more about the ones i have. Does any one know if good links that talk about these especially?
Thanks .
~Samuel

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you suggest i sell/trade them and buy something less potent?
Don't know, up to you. You'll be ok as long as your careful and ready to accept the responsibility and possible consequences.

PS. Maybe i should have got a G. rosea after all
I would get one no matter what you decide to do with the others.

BTW, did you set up your haplopelma with enough substrate to burrow?

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well if any one knows of someone who is willing to trade a fairly nice sized L. parahybana for what i have i think i would be willing to do that.