What grows bigger M or Female?

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What grows bigger/heavier in the Heterometrus species: the male or female?
And is there a difference in price or are they both worth the same? :worship:

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The males i think grow longer and the females heavier/bulkier could be wrong just putting it out there.... Usually females are worth a little more then males since you can get babies from them and they live longer then males..

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. That depends on the species, but in general males are somewhat smaller and more slender. There are, of course, exceptions.
2. I never gave the pricedifference any attention, so I can't answer that question.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Species is Heterometrus, sorry forgot to mention that :wall: :wall:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heterometrus is the genus name, there are a lot of Heterometrus species. I have a Heterometrus species where it looks like the male is much bigger than the female, bigger, bulkier in general, maybe one of the exceptions Michiel was referring to but I don't know yet if it's a trend in the species I have yet ...I still don't know what species it is! I still have the babies so I will know in a year or two(I hope) if the males are generally bigger with this species.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heterometrus males can be slightly longer and more slender but will weigh less than the females usually with scorpions there are always exceptions and there is no way to tell sex by size. As for price there is usually absolutely no difference between males and females with scorpions. The only exception for price would be to buy a gravid female, or to want one or the other possibly the seller might charge a little more for a sexed one. Most scorpions I see are sold un-sexed but even when sexed I don't see any reason for a price difference.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Worth is relative. As pets, females are generally worth more.

When you get to breeders though, it's a whole other ball game. What is needed to breed is the most valuable. So lets say you want to have a breeding pair of your scorpion.

You have one female already. You may want to have more females, but what you really need is a male to breed. So for you at that point, getting a male would be the most valued.

This issue is further complicated by how and by whom they are collected. In some species, the males will wonder looking for a mate, etc., while the females may tend to stay in the burrows. In this case, collectors may only have mostly males.

Another possibility is that males are wondering and taking refuge where they can before the day starts. If a collector is only turning over large rocks, they may find mostly females.

On top of all of this, when bred, there are sometimes more males or females.

So as you can see, there is a lot of issues to consider when comparing value.

But the general rule is that pet people would prefer a female, while a breeder would generally want to get more males, but this varies on circumstance.

One example I have, is an awesome offer I received for a male of a Diplocentrus sp. I was offered value way in excess of the value of the scorpion, because he needed a male to breed. I've also gotten lucky collecting, and found males that breeders needed. So I wouldn't get too disappointed with getting a male. I would just look for a breeder that needs it. Maybe then you could trade for some slings of a new specie, or an extra female from the breeder. Males can have greater value sometimes too!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Worth is relative. As pets, females are generally worth more.

When you get to breeders though, it's a whole other ball game. What is needed to breed is the most valuable. So lets say you want to have a breeding pair of your scorpion.

You have one female already. You may want to have more females, but what you really need is a male to breed. So for you at that point, getting a male would be the most valued.

This issue is further complicated by how and by whom they are collected. In some species, the males will wonder looking for a mate, etc., while the females may tend to stay in the burrows. In this case, collectors may only have mostly males.

Another possibility is that males are wondering and taking refuge where they can before the day starts. If a collector is only turning over large rocks, they may find mostly females.

So as you can see, there is a lot of issues to consider when comparing value.

But the general rule is that pet people would prefer a female, while a breeder would generally want to get more males, but this varies on circumstance.

One example I have, is an awesome offer I received for a male of a Diplocentrus sp. I was offered value way in excess of the value of the scorpion, because he needed a male to breed. I've also gotten lucky collecting, and found males that breeders needed. So I wouldn't get too disappointed with getting a male. I would just look for a breeder that needs it. Maybe then you could trade for some slings of a new specie, or an extra female from the breeder. Males can have greater value sometimes too!
In addition some species have a higher ratio of one sexed compared to others. Take Rhopalurus pintoi, I recieved a nice sized order and all of them were female. The species is very heavy on females.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In addition some species have a higher ratio of one sexed compared to others. Take Rhopalurus pintoi, I recieved a nice sized order and all of them were female. The species is very heavy on females.
That's what I was trying to say! :D

See OP, John would value some M R. pintoi right now! :)

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow thanks for taking the time to go so in depth on all the factors and variables that are to be considered :clap:

You guys rock, cheers :worship: