What fruit do you all feed to your centipedes

NYAN

Arachnoking
As some of us know, and others may not, centipedes can and will eat fruit. My question for you all is, what kind of fruits have you offered to your Pedes and had them eat? I have only tried banana and I do not think they were hungry, so it went uneaten.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, never tried, in all honesty :)

But I would love to try with an half apple, don't know why :pompous:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Try it and let us know how it works, I think tomorrow I will give it another shot also.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Try it and let us know how it works
Ah, wish that :rofl:

I have to play the 'knock-door' game since she is always under her fav. piece of cork bark, with a pretty large body. Seriously she's a class A pet hole... my guess is pre molt :)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I've seen pictures of pedes happily munching on kiwi but I've never offered it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah I see, antisocial centipede.
Better this way, because when she's out, she acts like a 'Carlito's Way' Mafioso, and I have to provide, only for calm her, a couple of fatty B.dubia :)

Once I was sleeping and she managed to woke me up with that sound... the sound of her head pushing the top for exit.
I felt like Henry Charrière in 'Papillon' (the book) when he received a 'shower' of 'pedes crawling out of those humid walls :angelic:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
So far, I've used banana and grapes. Only a few of my pedes will readily take banana, but they'll all gorge on grapes without much hesitation. However, they do seem to prefer red/purple grapes over green ones.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Grapes and apples were the favorites. I fed these to polymorpha and viridis. Fed banana too, but that was largely ignored.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never tried offering fruit to my centipedes, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time I chop some fruit up for the crab and the beetles and roaches.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, grapes are a favourite of my pedes too, especially the red/purple ones. They normally eat the slices I offer them right down to the skin.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As some of us know, and others may not, centipedes can and will eat fruit. My question for you all is, what kind of fruits have you offered to your Pedes and had them eat? I have only tried banana and I do not think they were hungry, so it went uneaten.
I recently offered mine a bit of very ripe banana, and I saw her nibble at it for quite a while.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I find it helps to offer small slivers of fruit with tongs, wafting it near their antennae so they can smell it. Leaving it out for more than a while just attracts pests and mold, and rotten fruit doesn't seem appealing to centipedes either.

Some 'pedes just don't like fruit. My multidens and Mint Leg attack the fruit like insect prey and even after they detect it isn't prey, they just take a lick or two before walking away. On the other hand, my hainanum have never refused fruit of any kind, taking it gently from the tongs. The rest are in between.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
This thread's given me the idea that I might start filming the occasional centipede feeding video using fruit instead of insects.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I find it helps to offer small slivers of fruit with tongs, wafting it near their antennae so they can smell it. Leaving it out for more than a while just attracts pests and mold, and rotten fruit doesn't seem appealing to centipedes either.
I second that. Don't shove it in their face, but put it quite close to their head, and they'll usually go for it if they want it. And definitely don't leave it in there if the pede doesn't take it straight away - not only will it attract mold and fruit flies, but it will give the whole enclosure a pungent smell that requires nothing short of a complete substrate change (this is coming from experience after leaving a banana slice in one of my pede enclosures overnight).

NYAN

Arachnoking
Good advice everyone! I’ll try some apple today and see how it goes.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Grapes are a favourite, plums, mango, cherries and blueberries are all taken no questions asked. They probably like their fruit sweet which is why they mostly ignore banana unless it's really ripe

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
The only pede I've ever had turn down red/purple grape is Azog. However, Azog has recently been very hesitant to eat anything, insect or fruit, so perhaps it's getting ready to molt...
Anyway, I'll probably experiment a little more in regards to pede fruit preferences. I'll likely film my next feeding compilation using various fruit instead of insects.