What frightens you more?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whenever my friends are over and we're looking at the t's i often get asked one of the obvious questions: "Aren't you afraid of being bitten?"

Although i haven't yet been bitten and have NO desire to try it, I always respond that i'm more afraid of dealing with an escapee than a bite. A little pain and sickness from a bite isn't such a big deal, especially since i don't have any heteroscondra's or pokeys, etc. (Is a cobalt's venom that bad?) but the pain of knowing one of my lil guys is lost somewhere in the house hungry, dehydrated and cold would SUCK!

What is your worst fear regarding your inverts?

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife giving in to her unfounded fear of them and having to find them new homes.Although she is getting better now that I have assured her they can't get out.Sure hope one never does, because she would flip out.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
My worst fear is one of my invertebrates escaping, and scaring another member of my family that has no interest in them, and possibly being bitten. Though the chances are slim, still thats all I'm concerned about.

-Sean

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm mostly afraid of the hair...nothing works for me and i've scratched my hand to bleed once after having exposure with Pampho hair...now that's pain...

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got some new pede's the other day and ya, that would freak me out to find one in my bed with me....my t's im ok with but you ever seen a vietnamese pede crawling up your leg to your family jewels and you too will have nightmares:eek: ....

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Although, I would not like to be bitten... I think an escapee would have to be my biggest fear. An encounter with my cat or one of my larger lizards... my seriously phobic husband... or the elements, in general. Yep, more fearful of one being out than getting nailed.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agree

I am definitely most afraid of one escaping.

I almost had one (P Irminia) get away from me for good when I was moving it to a new enclosure. It kind of traumatized me. The not knowing what to do. How to "save" it. Fortunately she as a good spider and crawled right into a box I set in front of her. My second biggest fear, that kinda ties into the first one, with my T's is not knowing enough and having one get hurt or die due to something I did or didn't do. I'm all paranoid with them but I'm pretty new to the hobby and I hope one day that fear goes away. I just keep reading the boards for help. :)

I figure any tarantula experience, whether good or bad is a good learning experience.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, considering what I keep, Im definitely more afraid of an escape, of any of my critters, but mostly the scorpions or snakes. If a T got out, Id be more worried that my curious puppy would upset it and get hairs in her eyes. The Chihuahua would probably just run, hehe.

It was funny actually, when I was moving into my apartment I had two friends over to help me hang pictures. One was standing on the back of the couch, and one was standing on the seat of it, and I was on the floor. Suddenly we heard the unmistakable sound of a rattle coming from the floor right beneath us where there were some boxes. I immediatly jumped back about 5' and both my friends bolted out the front door. After searching through the area though, we realized that the sound had come from one of my motorcycle jackets sliding off the edge of a box. It sounded just like a rattlesnake. {D

illcosby

Arachnopeon
someone just told me that my brand new slings could possibly escape from the slits on the tops of the containers they're in... them getting out and being all on their own in my house and possible getting eaten by my roomate's dog... thats a pretty frightening thought... D:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Biggest fear is having a seemingly healthy T die and not being able to determine why it died, and then wondering if it could happen to others in my care.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
probably getting hairs kicked or shot by poop. i'm not scared of one biting me since they'll usually give you warning signs first.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My biggest fear is definitely an escape.

I had a G. rosea (of all things) that was an escape artist and always headed straight for my 85lb Doberman's kennel. I was always afraid the dog would either eat the T or end up with hairs in his eyes. Also my other half is borderline phobic about spiders and might want me to get rid of them if I had an escape.

Being bitten isn't high on my list of things to try, but also isn't one of my lifes greatest fears.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually fear bad moults more than anything, with regards to my inverts. I have been bitten, by a big G. rosea, and while it wasn't fun, it wasn't the worst thing I've been through by any means. I have had much worse from a cat, but most people probably never think about being bitten by their cats. Moults seem to be such a risky time for T's, and I have lost some really nice spiders to moults that went bad for no apparent reason, including my old A. metallica girl, so when one of mine is about to moult, I worry to pieces that everything will go well, since there's not a lot you can do when it doesn't. I also have to be concerned with something that most of you won't have to worry about-earthquakes. We have over 200 small quakes per year in South Carolina, and we've had some that were definately big enough to feel. My concern is one big enough to knock over several tarantula enclosures, releasing the spiders all over the house, where they can either fall an be injured or attack each other. Before I got into inverts, we had a quake that was strong enough to knock open cabinet doors in my house and dump all the dishes and glassware on the floor, and destroy an antique electric wall clock I had inherited, and it actually cracked the cement block recreational building that belongs to our church, from floor to ceiling, so if I'd had any tarantulas at that time, they would have gotten dumped all over the floor. I also have to worry about power failures, even brief ones, while I'm at work, since my AC will often "kick out" when there is even a little "blip" in power, and I have to reset it to get it back on. If this happens while I'm at work, it will be several hours, most of the day, actually, before I can get home, so my spiders and all the other animals inside are at risk of becoming overheated.

pitbulllady

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm always worried about escapes, I usually check the pet room after its been shut down at least once before I head up stairs every night. ~ Rex

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My fear is making the rounds and finding one of my Ts dead for no apparent reason. I got back from arachnocon to find my rufilata dead, bad molt apparently, but don't know why it would have a bad molt. Never happened to me before. I've known why my other's have died. I'm so sad. :(

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my -worst- fear is having one escape and bite my dog or one of my cats. I heard T venom has a much worse effect on them than us.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got some new pede's the other day and ya, that would freak me out to find one in my bed with me....my t's im ok with but you ever seen a vietnamese pede crawling up your leg to your family jewels and you too will have nightmares:eek: ....
I heard that! The last thing you wanted was one of these getting a hold of you in the bush. I've seen what they can do. I'm still afraid of 'em and I sure won't have one for a pet!