What food & care do I give to…

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Today I went to invertebrate show in Bedford England so I bought some good stuff for my spiders. I also saw a £30 mystery box to which I couldn’t resist. However, I wasn’t prepared for what I found in there. Inside was only one spider and the rest is centipedes, mantis and other creatures. I’ve decided to give away those centipedes but please give me advice on the other creatures. Can I give them from my spider food ? Also do you think this mantis will become green or pink? Does mantis moult like a spider? Thank you!

Attachments

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
I guess you didn't learn from your first experience on mystery boxes...

First off, try to figure out what you actually have, and than we can maybe try to help... but please, later on, before you buy an animal, research how to properly take care of the animals, as they depend on it.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
To anyone else who thinks they want a mystery box. Make sure you have the experience to handle whatever is in it, first.

Awfully concerning to not be prepared at all for what animals come next. Impulse buys for animals are extremely irresponsible.

Good luck. Use the search bar.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
To anyone else who thinks they want a mystery box. Make sure you have the experience to handle whatever is in it, first.

Awfully concerning to not be prepared at all for what animals come next. Impulse buys for animals are extremely irresponsible.

Good luck. Use the search bar.
I buy only spiders and in this mystery box I was supposed to receive the same. However that wasn't the case here, but no one can be knowledgeable at everything. Basic care of food and environment is also good. Anyways let’s see, if they thrive long enough then I am doing good.

Whisper

Arachnopeon
What the hell? A mystery box? People really just sell a surprise assortment of animals? How common is this?

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
What the hell? A mystery box? People really just sell a surprise assortment of animals? How common is this?
It’s very common they had 5/6 to chose from and no one tells you what’s inside. I know it is a mystery box but still I should know. Well I think I knew that it contained 4-6 spiderlings but that wasn’t the case 🤷‍♂️

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Actually where I live the pharmacy sells a mystery box of medications. They're really a good value, and you can just call Poison Control and get them identified.

Not really, of course, but this is the same thing.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Actually where I live the pharmacy sells a mystery box of medications. They're really a good value, and you can just call Poison Control and get them identified.

Not really, of course, but this is the same thing.
Ok this group here should be called HatingBoards for ArachnoFans.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
It isn't hating. It is being concerned for the well-being of captive animals, and being upset when things are described that conflict with that well-being. I apologize if I'm not being clear.

There are forums that aren't so concerned about these issues, but AB doesn't seem to be one of them.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
It isn't hating. It is being concerned for the well-being of captive animals, and being upset when things are described that conflict with that well-being. I apologize if I'm not being clear.

There are forums that aren't so concerned about these issues, but AB doesn't seem to be one of them.
It is what it is, I can't change the laws and policies of practice. I even posted a spider from one country to another. No one stoped me about it..

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Today I went to invertebrate show in Bedford England so I bought some good stuff for my spiders. I also saw a £30 mystery box to which I couldn’t resist. However, I wasn’t prepared for what I found in there. Inside was only one spider and the rest is centipedes, mantis and other creatures. I’ve decided to give away those centipedes but please give me advice on the other creatures. Can I give them from my spider food ? Also do you think this mantis will become green or pink? Does mantis moult like a spider? Thank you!
The mantis is Creobroter sp.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
You can choose to behave in a responsible way yourself.
I will do but I still believe the best way to learn 'how to' is to do that as you practice. Generally, insects are very patient and are not like some amphibians which can die even at the hands of professionals. For instance, I have a friend who is a VET and said that chameleons are very hard to take care of and they die very easy if you take the wrong step. This is not the case with my spiders, despite the fact I am not a PRO still, none of my spiders has died. They eat, drink and go out and about regularly. And, I also bought some books to read about spiders and put fewer questions in here.

Attachments

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I will do but I still believe the best way to learn 'how to' is to do that as you practice. Generally, insects are very patient and are not like some amphibians which can die even at the hands of professionals. For instance, I have a friend who is a VET and said that chameleons are very hard to take care of and they die very easy if you take the wrong step. This is not the case with my spiders, despite the fact I am not a PRO still, none of my spiders has died. They eat, drink and go out and about regularly. And, I also bought some books to read about spiders and put fewer questions in here.
Mygalomorphs are just about the easiest arthropods to keep alive, other insects come with other challenges.

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
Mantids are not something you're gonna want in a mystery box, I've never heard of that before. They are all different and have various care, and depending on the species, they can just die and are not patient to a learning curve. They molt, and you'll need space for them to do so. If they fall during a molt, they could die. I have spiders and mantids, my spiders are a lot easier than my mantids.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Mantids are not something you're gonna want in a mystery box, I've never heard of that before. They are all different and have various care, and depending on the species, they can just die and are not patient to a learning curve. They molt, and you'll need space for them to do so. If they fall during a molt, they could die. I have spiders and mantids, my spiders are a lot easier than my mantids.
Oh wow I didn’t know that, well it’s gonna be interesting anyway.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Lots of insects and arachnids (and yes, that includes many spiders) are extremely sensitive and require extraordinary skill and highly specific environments, food, and care to stay alive in captivity. Those ones don't tend to take off in the pet trade because guess what? They die. Fast. Others do become popular despite being incredibly difficult to keep simply because humans think they're cool. These often die quickly thanks to humans who are unwilling to do the requisite research into their care.

If you're purposely trying to keep animals that aren't established in the pet trade with the intention of finding out if they are viable for captivity, some experimentation is required, with the understanding that some animals may die due to your mistakes. Whether that's okay with you or not is up to you. However, deciding to get animals randomly without even bothering to find out first whether their care needs are known and what they might be is absolutely not the way to learn. It's just irresponsible and selfish.

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Lots of insects and arachnids (and yes, that includes many spiders) are extremely sensitive and require extraordinary skill and highly specific environments, food, and care to stay alive in captivity. Those ones don't tend to take off in the pet trade because guess what? They die. Fast. Others do become popular despite being incredibly difficult to keep simply because humans think they're cool. These often die quickly thanks to humans who are unwilling to do the requisite research into their care.

If you're purposely trying to keep animals that aren't established in the pet trade with the intention of finding out if they are viable for captivity, some experimentation is required, with the understanding that some animals may die due to your mistakes. Whether that's okay with you or not is up to you. However, deciding to get animals randomly without even bothering to find out first whether their care needs are known and what they might be is absolutely not the way to learn. It's just irresponsible and selfish.
Absolutely agree and I do care so I put my questions here and also try to read online etc. However, life in the wild is cruel and some spiders die! I provide mine with a variety of food (once a week) and fresh water every day. My enclosures are a bit extravagant but I try to take good care of my spiders and it seems I succeed. With a little advice from more experienced people, I can manage even better. But thanks anyway.