What feeders to use for Centruroides hentzi?

Daniel Dorpinghaus

Arachnopeon
Hi folks.

Before we moved to Tallahassee, my wife worked at an animal clinic in South GA. The vet their was always finding small scorpions in her horse barn and house. She knew I've been caring for Emps and A.F. for 8 or 9 years now. Yesterday, she called my wife up and said she had a scorpion for me.

The scorpion is small and orange/brown about 30mm (estimated) long including the tail. Based on what I've seen online, this would likely be a C. Hentzi. And, it's not slender/lanky so I'm guessing it is female.

Here is my dilemma. From my research, many of the feeder species of roach are not legal in Florida. I feed my A.F. large crickets. Can you guys give me any pointers on what would be appropriate to feed this scorpion? Also, how do you guys furnish the enclosure? My research has turned up a lot of articles on distribution and not much in the way of diet and care.

I'd really appreciate any info/pointers you could offer. Right now she's in a small jelly jar with some straw and leaves which is what Doc put her in to get her to me.

Thank you guys in advance for you time and interest!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scorpions are not picky. It can eat normal crickets and mealworms.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And as for the enclosure, once again, they are not picky. For a Hentzi, a couple inches of moist peat moss or coco fiber (they sell substrate at pet stores) will be sufficient, with some corkbark for hiding and climbing (once again they also sell this at the pet store). They love dead leaves also, you can use oak leaves etc from outside, but they have to be microwaved first to kill any stowaways from the wild.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Microwaving your leaves will simply provide a perfect substrate for environmental moulds. There's no need to sterilize leaves - simply give them a scrub with water to remove any surface eggs or critters. This allows the diverse natural microbiota to survive, which in turn helps to prevent mould blooms.