What else can go wrong?

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd appreciate a list of what can affect the livelihood of Ts, such as parasites, diseases and injuries, as well as the underlying cause and cure. So far I've read threads concerning mites, injury and the mysterious dyskenetic syndrome, and anything else I need be aware of would be sincerely received. I have The Tarantula Keepers Guide on its way via mail, but I have no idea how much it delves into the subject. Thanks. :?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heat/humidity fluctuations, especially with the more sensitive species, and avics tend to just drop dead for no apparant reason. molts can also go wrong, causing damage to the spider, fatal or otherwise.

i have that book, but since tarantula keeping has developed so rapidly since it began, i find books older than a year or two to be just as much help as asking the AB community, if not less.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not to mention habitat destruction and over collection and tarantula hawk wasps ....oh wait you mean in captivity....

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Over - and under - confidence is a major cause for concern, but delve into the Schultz Bible and you'll have more info than you can shake a stick at..! ;)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mites, ruptures during a fall or moulting, loosing legs/pedipalps/fangs etc dehydration, lack of humidity, too much heat frying the spider (lamps etc!) moults getting stuck, crickets chomping on moulting spiders!

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad ventillation can cause unexplain death for certain species, like Avicularias.