What does your vagans do ?

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine, after arriving, and sitting still for 4 days, made a huge, deep burrow under all the peat and styrofoam "rocks" ... do I have my first "pet hole" ?

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When provided with proper substrate and log for cover it shall usually hide or burrow. Atleast mine is hiding. Check back at night with a red light if you wanna view your more reclusive tarantulas or "petholes". I don't think it's as bad of a pethole as a haplopelma.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine have a burrow but are usually out of it tho but I have three 4" males.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I have 3 unsexed B. vagans, they all have burrows but are usually sitting outside of them.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pretty much what everyone else has said.

my 1.5" has burrow and definitely will teleport into it if i bother its deli. it's one of my most skiddish Ts, actually. but with that said, i also sometimes see it strolling around during the evening if i keep quiet.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine, after arriving, and sitting still for 4 days, made a huge, deep burrow under all the peat and styrofoam "rocks" ... do I have my first "pet hole" ?
Last year Diablo, my spawn-of-Satan vagans, did the same thing yours did - in fact, I became concerned because I never saw him and wondered if he had dug his own grave - I should add that this was not a "burrow" in the classic sense, as he had covered up any sign of an entrance -he existed more like a grub worm than a tarantula, to my way of thinking - one day I discovered what looked like his dead body crumpled against the side of the burrow - consumed with dread I removed it with tongs and was relieved to discover that it was the exuvium of a molt - but still no sign of Diablo - I would place crickets in the enclosure on the surface of the substrate, come back later and the crickets would be gone - it was like that old '50s movie Invaders From Mars, where the aliens lived in subterranean tunnels and sucked unsuspecting victims into the sand from below (gosh would I have loved to witness that! ... but at least I was consoled by the knowledge that Diablo was getting enough to eat) ...

Well the good news for you, I hope, is that at a certain point Diablo surfaced from his cave, never to return to it - he's a consummate digger, I've seen him in action, pursuing burrowed mealworms, so I know that if he wanted to go underground again, he could. Instead he remains visible at all times, and delights in scaring the bejeezus out of me. So don't despair, just give it time - you'll have a pet hole for a while, but he'll come around ... and when he does, may he more civil to you than my Brachypelma spitfire is to me :evil:

Sadistic Haplo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My vagans has down syndrome.

My vagans is definatly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B Vagans

A number of my Vagans burrowed as slings, but most of them didn't. After reaching about 3" in size, they stopped burrowing. They are all very bold and out in the open.

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B.Vagans

I have one adult female and she is a pet rock! She is fat! She is lazy! She will eat anything I put in there with her......oh! She is a real looker:D

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one adult female and she is a pet rock! She is fat! She is lazy! She will eat anything I put in there with her......oh! She is a real looker:D
x2 for me here. Same exact behavior - hilarious as hell!!