What does your tarantula do for "fun"?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
STORY TIME!
The purpose of the quotations is obvious. Tarantulas are always emotionless and can't actually have fun or be entertained by anything. But I have seen stories on this forum of people watching their tarantula wander all around the enclosure, roll around a ping pong ball, knock over their water dish, or scratch around in the dirt. There doesn't appear to be a purpose to this behavior, other than that the tarantula just feels like doing it. Have you ever seen your tarantula doing something amusing just for the heck of it?

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The other night I watched one of my wolfies carrying little balls of dirt around. It would randomly roll up a ball of dirt, wander around with it for a few minutes, drop it and then roll up another ball and repeat. It wasn't digging and it wasn't moving enough to consider it rearranging. I have no idea why she was doing it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Dozer (my 3" Grammostola pulchra) gets very "possessive" of anything in her enclosure. She grabs onto anything you put in there or try to remove (even the water you are pouring into the dish). I have also seen her push objects into her retreat.

If you slip a mylar ribbon through the vent holes, she grabs it and tries to pull it in. She will yank the whole ribbon into the cage if you let her and try to subdue it (every time she moves, it moves). Then she stuffs it into her retreat or water dish.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Dozer (my 3" Grammostola pulchra) gets very "possessive" of anything in her enclosure. She grabs onto anything you put in there or try to remove (even the water you are pouring into the dish). I have also seen her push objects into her retreat.

If you slip a mylar ribbon through the vent holes, she grabs it and tries to pull it in. She will yank the whole ribbon into the cage if you let her and try to subdue it (every time she moves, it moves). Then she stuffs it into her retreat or water dish.
Thats adorable. It can be funny how these bugs can sometimes be so human-like.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Ive witnessed my GBB spend about 15 minutes webbing then tearing the web down to start over. Also it plays a game where it only moves as soon as i look away. Ive spent 5 minute's staring at him, looking away for a few seconds , and its in a totally different spot.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also it plays a game where it only moves as soon as i look away. Ive spent 5 minute's staring at him, looking away for a few seconds , and its in a totally different spot.
Tarantulas are masters of the "statues" game.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
However when you do finally witness them moving its really interesting... well at least way more interesting then most of the stuff on netflix. Lol l. In all seriousness i could watch them wander around for hours.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight

Okay, I legit NEED a pulchra. They always seem to have the best stories associated with them.
Ive witnessed my GBB spend about 15 minutes webbing then tearing the web down to start over. Also it plays a game where it only moves as soon as i look away. Ive spent 5 minute's staring at him, looking away for a few seconds , and its in a totally different spot.
My avic avic does this I swear! Ha, but usually if she is out of her log and I notice her, I'll go have a good look, maybe get a pic. She is a statue. As soon as I turn around for a second, poof she is gone into the log for 3 days or more.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
My P. metallica (big) spends her time in a web tube, occasionally breaking said tube, poking her abdomen out of it, going back into it, and resealing it. She does this a couple times a day.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
My a. Avic wanders around her enclosure, pushes moss around and then takes a bath :wacky:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you suggesting... they're quantum locked?!?!? :eek:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/sciencey-wiencey-the-weeping-angels-quantum-locking-62303.htm

sasker

Arachnoprince
Kim, my 3" B. hamorii, enjoys walking around with her water bowl (bottle cap). One morning she was tossing it around in the enclosure. When I went out in the afternoon she put it in her hide. When I got back it was placed back on the exact same spot I put in the first place (right side up, as if nothing happened).

Dozer (my 3" Grammostola pulchra) gets very "possessive" of anything in her enclosure. She grabs onto anything you put in there or try to remove
I am always a bit jealous of other people's G. pulchra. Mine (2" male) is a pet rock that only sits around his enclosure all day. Everyone says they are so active, digging and all. But not mine. I give him one more chance. If his character has not changed by the next month, I will put him up for adoption :depressed: