What does your millipede enclosure/tank/container look like? Post a pic!

NeedForPede

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

I'm curious about what your millipede enclosures look like! I'm new-ish into keeping millipedes and I want to see what your substrate looks like, if you keep them in glass or plastic, any decorations or plants, multiple species? Post a pic!

I can kick it off with my ivory (his name is Ulan) container - I included a earplug in one pic for scale. Also my container does have a lid, I just took it off for less glare in the photo! PXL_20201126_035025246.MP.jpg

Attachments

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I rarely see them but there's an adult bumblebee and an adult smoky oak in here. I use millipede substrate from Bugs in Cyberspace and add flake soil to the top occasionally and more leaves. I also supplement with repashy isopod food once a week or so, they love it. The short side vents on the top are not covered and I pour water down the sides as needed. I've had them 2 1/2 years now.

millipede 2.jpg millipede enclosure.jpg

NeedForPede

Arachnopeon
I rarely see them but there's an adult bumblebee and an adult smoky oak in here. I use millipede substrate from Bugs in Cyberspace and add flake soil to the top occasionally and more leaves. I also supplement with repashy isopod food once a week or so, they love it. The short side vents on the top are not covered and I pour water down the sides as needed. I've had them 2 1/2 years now.

View attachment 367275 View attachment 367276
Neat! I used to have a some cork board in my container but it ended up molding so I composted it... Do you ever have problems with mold on your cork?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Neat! I used to have a some cork board in my container but it ended up molding so I composted it... Do you ever have problems with mold on your cork?
I haven't had any problems with mold, but the substrate is a bit dryer in the center of the enclosure, pouring the water around the sides makes it damper on the sides and the bottom and the millipedes can choose where they want to be.There are some springtails in there also so if there ever was any mold they probably ate it.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I keep 3 species: Orthoporus ornatus, Narceus americanus, and Narceus gordanus. The substrate is a mix of oak pellets, moss, oak leaves, reptisoil (peat and dirt), and some coco fiber.
20201128_210744.jpg

O ornatus
20201128_210829.jpg
N americanus
20201128_210604.jpg
N gordanus
20201128_210722.jpg

NeedForPede

Arachnopeon

NeedForPede

Arachnopeon
I haven't had any problems with mold, but the substrate is a bit dryer in the center of the enclosure, pouring the water around the sides makes it damper on the sides and the bottom and the millipedes can choose where they want to be.There are some springtails in there also so if there ever was any mold they probably ate it.
[/QUOTE]
Hm I should try it again! I have more springtails now and I wouldn't mist it as much

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Ooo! How often do you water your O. ornatus tank? Since they desert species do you water it less?
I am no expert but I've been keeping them a little over 2 years. I keep their sub pretty dry - I try to keep the bottom layers moist though to give them the option to burrow to it. Mesh or screen top to allow plenty of evaporation. Top layers are dry to the touch. There isn't really a timeframe involved, I just watch the moisture line and top it off when it's about 40-50% of the total substrate height. I only wet a corner when I replenish the water.

In my experience they're hardy. When I first got them I kept them even drier than I do now, and they were fine. I'd lean drier than not, when I rehoused them last the sub was a little too wet and one of them was on the screen top seemingly avoiding the sub.

nouthound

Arachnopeon
I keep 3 species: Orthoporus ornatus, Narceus americanus, and Narceus gordanus. The substrate is a mix of oak pellets, moss, oak leaves, reptisoil (peat and dirt), and some coco fiber.
I love the little name label on your O. ornatus enclosure! :)

NeedForPede

Arachnopeon
I am no expert but I've been keeping them a little over 2 years. I keep their sub pretty dry - I try to keep the bottom layers moist though to give them the option to burrow to it. Mesh or screen top to allow plenty of evaporation. Top layers are dry to the touch. There isn't really a timeframe involved, I just watch the moisture line and top it off when it's about 40-50% of the total substrate height. I only wet a corner when I replenish the water.

In my experience they're hardy. When I first got them I kept them even drier than I do now, and they were fine. I'd lean drier than not, when I rehoused them last the sub was a little too wet and one of them was on the screen top seemingly avoiding the sub.
Okay, good to know! I was thinking of getting an O. ornatus and wanted to see if you did anything special. I also like your containers and labels! 😁

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Okay, good to know! I was thinking of getting an O. ornatus and wanted to see if you did anything special. I also like your containers and labels! 😁
Definitely make sure you browse the forums for other people's input too! This is just what's worked for me.