What does this posture mean?

tAngents

Arachnopeon
So it's been a few days since I got Nope. She's pretty cool. Indeed she is like a "pet rock" for the most part but ya know, I kind of like that about these critters. Usually she chills all day on top of her log like this:

Today I turned my head to glance at her and noticed her like this:

Not sure how long she was like this before I noticed but it's been close to a half hour and she's still like this..LOL. My husband and I are both sitting in the room on our computers and we haven't moved in awhile so I don't think anything startled her. It's been fairly quiet as well. I've only seen her do this when she catches a cricket but she has ate all her crickets. Since I took these pics, her abdomen is pointing up even more, almost straight up. I'm kind of concerned. Is she mad?

tAngents

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's my thought too. It's just so weird because there's nothing around that I can see. I'm just afraid she's going to try to jump or something and hurt herself. She's in kind of a tall enclosure. Waiting for a shorter version to arrive from Amazon.

Methal

Arachnosquire
My 2 year old LP does that when I moisten the dirt where she likes to sit. That also could be a "lazy" threat posture. turn out the lights and hold still and see if she relaxes.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mine will also stand like this for some time before they start to groom themselves. Like they've forgotten what they wanted to do. ;)

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
My now mature male G. "northern" porteri used to do yoga all the time. Some of his positions were hilarious.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's because of Langoliers. Theraphosidae are able to percept those unlike us. But man if they are lovely in such position, so we should thank the Langoliers :-s

cold blood

Staff member

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Now in that instance, it looks like hunting because of the angle toward the sub. Classic military approach...capture the high ground.
Dozer is pretty much always hunting. As you can see, she hasn't been skipping any meals. I've never seen her refuse food except during pre-molt.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Some of my T's are in that stance after eating prey. I always thought this might be since I failed to give them a napkin and they have spilled cricket sauce all over themselves.

My E. Sp. Red and Tiger both are guaranteed to be in this position after eating a cricket. I actually thought that maybe it is kind of a park position for their hydraulics while eating.

tAngents

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies. It was just shocking to see her in such an extreme pose. It's been interesting watching her....well, watching her basically do nothing! :D:rofl: She's even more zen-like than my African fat-tail gecko.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for all the replies. It was just shocking to see her in such an extreme pose. It's been interesting watching her....well, watching her basically do nothing! :D:rofl: She's even more zen-like than my African fat-tail gecko.
It is definitely therapeutic to watch them do nothing. Puts everyday's struggles and stress in perspective. :)