What does the "ironclad" beetle eat?

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Zopherus nodulosus haldemani, what can I feed this thing to keep it alive? It is assumed to eat lichens growing on trees, so outside of collecting this what can I substitute as a food source?
I'll get a pick up as soon as I get more batteries for the camera, but I'm positive of the ID. Interesting little fellow, very shy. Plays dead at the slightest movement; I've only actually seen him move once.
Any coleoptera lovers out there know what to do with this guy? I'd be glad to ship him out to you if you'd love him(/her) more than me.
[edit]here's a link to another sit for reference: http://www.texasento.net/Ironclad.html

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.jasonius;881530 It is assumed to eat lichens growing on trees said:
outside of collecting this what can I substitute as a food source?[/U]
just to reiterate, in case someone didn't read the post:rolleyes:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ground up mushrooms maybe? I bet they depend on a certain species a lichen however and would not take any substitute food.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are probably only found around such areas as their food source for a reason. Like already said try ground up mushrooms or even whole mushrooms. If that doesn't work theres a good chance nothing else but lichen will.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is REAL far-fetched but maybe you could try ground up dehydrated mushrooms from a health food grocery store in combination with an algae based fish food. Maybe add just a little moisture. I don't know, good luck. I'd like to hear if you find something that works.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try some psilocybin mushrooms and see what happens. I wonder if insects can get food poisoning?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is REAL far-fetched but maybe you could try ground up dehydrated mushrooms from a health food grocery store in combination with an algae based fish food. Maybe add just a little moisture. I don't know, good luck. I'd like to hear if you find something that works.
Good idea on the algae based fish food! After all, lichen are fungi/algae symbionts.

you could even use spirulina in place of the fish food.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so it's been a while now. I can't believe the survivability of these beetles.
I finally had success in finding a food source for my ironclad. I simply found some trees with lichens growing on the bark and stripped the bark off. I mist the bark down to keep the lichens fresh and he eats it right off. No other luck than that.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds good! So they don't need a lot to eat? I just saw another one a few days ago. They can't fly, right? Seems like I read that somewhere:? .