What do you use to measure humidity?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I have tried to use those little stick on humidity guages, but they dont seem very accurate to me. They hardly seem to move at all, regardless of the conditions in the enclosure, so I am looking for something more accurate. Unfortunately, I live in a small town with limited pet store resources, so I will probably have to order something, or look for something the next time I go to a show.

Any suggestions?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look up the humidity requirements for each species I own. Then pour water on the substrate for each species. More water depending on the species. I do this once a week for all my T's.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I understand how to do it. I am looking for something that will give me an accurate measurement of humidity. Those little plastic analog dials seem like crap to me.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I understand how to do it. I am looking for something that will give me an accurate measurement of humidity. Those little plastic analog dials seem like crap to me.
Why do you need something to measure humidity? I mean I am sure there are some high end hygrometers you could buy for some reptiles and other exotics. But it isn't really needed. On higher humidity species see if there is a lot of condensation on the walls of the enclosure. Measure humidity that way? It costs way less, and is very easy once you get use to it. That is how I did it when I use to breed Chondro's. Then again those aren't T's but it has worked the same for me thus far. I cannot find a high end animal hygrometer but I am sure if you checked around you could find some.

Best one I could find at the moment.
----->Click me!<-----

Note: Not saying this one will work, but it is something. Like you mentioned though, most of them are worthless. Just look around like I said.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOW. answer the question or move on...

For hygrometers you cant really skimp. and if you do you need to calibrate them for them to be even remotely accurate.

For a true accurate hygrometer you will pay upwards of a few hundred dollars. But you can go to ebay and look up Xikar hygrometer. they are around 20 bucks and fairly accurate. They are ment for cigars and trust me. people depend on those things like no other. who wants to ruin a couple grand on cigars?

Anyway. once you buy a hygrometer you will need to do a salt test. This is how you deem how accurate it is.

Take a 2 liter soda cap(or something similar) fill in 3/4 the way with regular table salt. then add a few drops of water untill the salt is moist but not sopping.

Take a tupperware dish and place the hygrometer and the cap with salt inside. let it sit for around 36 hours. After that it should read 75% Relative humidity. say the hygro is off. it reads 72% well you now know your hygro is off 3%. make note and there you go.

As said, you dont HAVE to have to monitor humidity with spiders. most people just soak the substrate once a week or so. let it dry and do it again. (depending on the species/genus of course)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't. My T's get what nature gives my T room. All T's have a water bowel and a once in a blue moon misting.

PIG-

Toirtis

Arachnobaron

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I guess I'm just looking for something a little better than those analog dial things.

I've seen a digital thermometer/hygrometer by Fluker for around $15-$20, and was wondering if anyone has used one of those.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I'm just looking for something a little better than those analog dial things.

I've seen a digital thermometer/hygrometer by Fluker for around $15-$20, and was wondering if anyone has used one of those.
That was the link I gave you. I use to use it for my Green Tree Pythons. It is somewhat accurate. But still unneeded.