What do you use for Heating your T rooms?

Luke

Arachnosquire
I would just like to know what some of you seasoned, or new, T keepers use to keep your T rooms heated during the colder months? Temperatures here (in the Mojave) have been getting as low as the 30's at night and up until recently 50-60 during the day! My house doesnt have central heating so I'm currently using a space heater with a built in thermostat to keep my room at around 83-85 F but the cost is IMMENSE to have it run all day on the chillier days..I dont know what to do...:/...so if somebody could offer a maybe cheaper way to heat or MAINTAIN a constant temperature in a room I would be most grateful!!!

Thank you in advance!

Luke

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heat

We use a space heater in the middle of the room. We also put a towel under the door to keep the heat in. Hope this helps.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My room is a 10x12 outdoor shed. I have a 6' electric baseboard heater installed, with an inline, wall mounted thermostat. There are also heated aquariums in this room that act as a heat sink, helping to stabilize the temp.
I get a day/night change from the lighting, and several basking bulbs. The only other fluctuation is if I spend a lot of time with the door open, or forget and run the ventilation fan too long.
It was 13 F this morning, the shed was nice and cozy.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you dont have too much tarantulas and most of them are slings than you can try this :

I heat them like this, they are doing fine and temperature is good around 24-25 degrees,I use 40Watt light bulb.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my herp lighting keeps the room nice and toasty for the spiders as well:D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi, In my little apt, a small space heater works just fine for the spider area- just have to keep an eye on humidity levels a little more often than spring through fall due to the drying effect. The rest of the apt gets pretty cold but I LOVE it that way. I had to get me a new little buddy propane heater and 6 disposable cylinders at Academy Sports yesterday- in case the electricity goes out between now and February. :) Terry

k2power

Arachnoknight
I use one of those oil filled electric radiators. It is set at almost its lowest setting and it keeps the room around 75. I figure this is a good compromise on the budget and the tarantulas have molted and are eating nicely (at least my tropical ones. The Mexican Brachypelmas are not as enthusiastic about food right now.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't do anything. The temps are between 70 at night and 73-75 during the day.

Curiousme will probably be in to tell you that they keep theirs at 64, and they do just fine.

Unless your house is colder than that, there's almost no point in adding heat.

sja69

Arachnopeon
It's been extremely cold here in the UK recently and we have some arctic winds on the way apparently.
Although I have central heating my house is so poorly insulated that most of the heat escapes anyway,
so I have no alternative other than to use heat mats which I use all year round anyway.
At the moment I have 4 spiderlings in a large enclosure that has 2 heat mats attached - 1 underneath
and one at the back, and my 7-legged juvenile has it's own enclosure & heat mat.
Things will get tricky when they all grow up and will all need seperate enclosures - each with their own
heat mat!
They all share the lounge at the moment so I don't have a spider room per se, but I'm thinking that my
cupboard under the stairs which is currently used for junk may have to be cleared out eventually with
some kind of a heater installed.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My house gets down to 68 at night and in the low 70's during the day. Haven't had any problems and nothing special in the room.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oil filled radiator does it for me
any breeding projects get the assistance of a heatmat too

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like Poxicator, I use a small oil filled radiator. Cheap to buy and cheap to run. Only really use it between November and February.

Luke

Arachnosquire
Okay! Thanks for all of the input everyone! I guess mine is an oil filled radiator too! I just thought it was called a space heater! lol :wall: So judging from all of the temps you all say that you keep your T's at, I guess the low to mid 80's is a bit high...I had no idea that high temps can dehydrate T's ..:/.. The room is now at a stable 74 F and they seem fine..:)..I also like the insulated rubbermaid idea! Thanks for that as well!

Luke

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay! Thanks for all of the input everyone! I guess mine is an oil filled radiator too! I just thought it was called a space heater! lol :wall: So judging from all of the temps you all say that you keep your T's at, I guess the low to mid 80's is a bit high...I had no idea that high temps can dehydrate T's ..:/.. The room is now at a stable 74 F and they seem fine..:)..I also like the insulated rubbermaid idea! Thanks for that as well!

Luke
Basically the best way to look at it is if you are comfortable, the Ts will be, too. :)