What do you use for a "Juvie/sub-adult" arboreal enclosure?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
So I have a few arboreal kids that are growing fast and will be ready for a bit of a bump up in enclosure size sometime in the near future (P. regalis, P. metallica, and P. irminia slings)...thing is, I've only ever had terrestrial juvies before and not arboreals. The arboreals I had before this were all already sub-adult so they went straight into their permanent enclosures. What do you all use for a "mid range" arboreal enclosure in between sling and adult? I currently have all three in 32 oz tall deli cups.

I have seen lots of people use those Walmart clear gallon jugs but my worry with those is the somewhat narrow opening up at the top. All three of them are fast and skittish species, with the Poecs obviously being the fastest and having very potent venom so I wouldn't want them bolting UP and onto me during cleaning or feeding/watering.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i use the gallon jars, im using 4 at the moment, for my H mac, P met, P subfusca and P irminia. glue the water dish near the top of the cage for easy bolus removal and cleaning, so i dont have to reach in with tongs. and even if i did, my tongs are long enough so my hands not in the cage. during feeding, the spiders hide anyway, i throw the criks in and put the cage back on the shelf. one could argue that deli cups are easier for spiders to bolt out of, as they are round and the spider doesnt have to reduce speed as it bolts around in them.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I use the clear gallon jars until they're large enough for the 31 quart (size B) "homz" brand clear storage bins from walmart, I like them a lot for arboreals

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use the 32oz until they get about 3-3.5" and into their adult home they go. Worked fine for avic, regalis, and plan on switching my schioedtei darlings over soon as I can.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I use the 32oz until they get about 3-3.5" and into their adult home they go. Worked fine for avic, regalis, and plan on switching my schioedtei darlings over soon as I can.
haha i like your signature, first time i noticed it.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So I have a few arboreal kids that are growing fast and will be ready for a bit of a bump up in enclosure size sometime in the near future (P. regalis, P. metallica, and P. irminia slings)...thing is, I've only ever had terrestrial juvies before and not arboreals. The arboreals I had before this were all already sub-adult so they went straight into their permanent enclosures. What do you all use for a "mid range" arboreal enclosure in between sling and adult? I currently have all three in 32 oz tall deli cups.

I have seen lots of people use those Walmart clear gallon jugs but my worry with those is the somewhat narrow opening up at the top. All three of them are fast and skittish species, with the Poecs obviously being the fastest and having very potent venom so I wouldn't want them bolting UP and onto me during cleaning or feeding/watering.
Here is a photo of my Poecilotheria rufilata and the enclosure I use for him/her.

I'm horrible at measuring and I don't have any measuring tape so for reference my T is the length of my pinky and yes this enclosure is it's permanently home.

Its not a sling anymore (subjective because everyone has their own definition of when a T is no longer a sling) but its also not an adult yet.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I use whatever i can find that looks secure, with adequate space. I will soon be using 1 gallon jars

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
why no hide? why no water dish?
Aboreals don't need hides they aren't a necessary, all my aboreals make dirt curtains.

And I've NEVER had an aboreal drink water out of a dish, I spray the webbing which they drink off and I give the the roaches fruit so all mine are just fine

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Aboreals don't need hides they aren't a necessary, all my aboreals make dirt curtains.

And I've NEVER had an aboreal drink water out of a dish, I spray the webbing which they drink off and I give the the roaches fruit so all mine are just fine
i dont know what arboreals your keeping, but thats some poor husbandry right there.

cold blood

Staff member
2016102895170811.jpg 2016102895170756.jpg
I do the same. From there, I keep my avics in taller, mid-size seterilites, like the 2 pictured. Species other than avics (most anyway) are housed in these larger Tupperware style enclosures. They offer more surface space for fast arboreals that aren't really arboreal till adulthood. I lean a slab of wood and surround it with plants. All of these species also need more moisture, and this set up can accommodate a much larger water dish. You could say they're housed semi-arboreally.

But they need something. I don't get why you would put, literally, nothing in the enclosure and think its adaptability makes it a good set up. It looks like something you would see in a pet store.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Cheap like a fat prostitute in her 60 without a leg, arboreal glass enclosures mostly made in Germany.

Or things like this (near the PS Vita and the "Morgan Freeman" rasta shrunken head) taller like a 100's Marlboro packet, more or less, for 2/3 cm slings :-s

thumbnail_DSC_0654.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
these masks are friggin dope. where are you getting them?
Thanks man. I buy/import those directly from Osaka & Kyoto. And (not Japanese) from Malaysia, Indonesia etc

I'm a collector, Robert 'Bob' Ibold appraised a couple of my Indonesia one, once.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Thanks man. I buy/import those directly from Osaka & Kyoto. And (not Japanese) from Malaysia, Indonesia etc

I'm a collector, Robert 'Bob' Ibold appraised a couple of my Indonesia one, once.
Now i want to go to Japan and Borneo even more. I think you sparked my new interest buddy

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Now i want to go to Japan and Borneo even more. I think you sparked my new interest buddy
Ah ah, good :-s

I love also the Nepal 'middle hills' masks, but sadly that area was hit hard and ruined by that earthquake. They are great IMO because they are a pre-Buddhist "archetype" (basically the masks you see in Katmandu, 90% of those are, no matter if cool to see, "tourists" traps).

I bought one once from a Rhode Island seller that wasn't aware of what he had, for a steal. lol he sent the mask in Canada instead of Italy, then after a month I received the mask with a "sorry" from Canadian customs (and wasn't even their fault) ah ah :)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I bought one once from a Rhode Island seller that wasn't aware of what he had, for a steal. lol he sent the mask in Canada instead of Italy, then after a month I received the mask with a "sorry" from Canadian customs (and wasn't even their fault) ah ah :)
Wow, how does one mix up Canada for Italy. Why don't you make mask thread in watering hole? I wanna see all of those!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Wow, how does one mix up Canada for Italy. Why don't you make mask thread in watering hole? I wanna see all of those!
I don't know what went wrong, ah ah, but was funny receiving the parcel with a hand written "sorry" when I tought that "hope" was lost.

About a "mask thread", yes you're right, I've promised that to another user here prior... but you know how much lazy can be mans approaching their 40 -.-

:-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Marijan2

I collect also Mexican ancient (& modern) folk, 'Day of the Dead', ex voto etc art. I have contacts in New Mexico & Arizona that "jumps" the border on a regular basis for buy from artists like OOS, Omar Garcia Duran, Carlomagno Pedro Martinez etc Oaxaca, mostly.