What do you think

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T. Blondi has a habit of dying during molts when they get bigger, because they wear themselves out and don't get enough oxygen. So I was thinking that of you created a oxygen rich enclosure it would cut down on this. What do ya'll think, could this work or am I just being stupid.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I can't say I'm scientific on this one (well... I would be lying if I said I was most other times) but to me it seems that thinking of their low metabolism extra oxygen isn't gonna have the same effect as for example for a mouse or a small bird. Different animals entirely obviously but what I do personally to try lower the risk of a bad blondi moult is to give it good and constant opportunity to drink and I don't overfeed.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
T. Blondi has a habit of dying during molts when they get bigger, because they wear themselves out and don't get enough oxygen. So I was thinking that of you created a oxygen rich enclosure it would cut down on this. What do ya'll think, could this work or am I just being stupid.
Where did you get that info? Too much oxygen is harmful to the longevity living creatures. (not to mention an explosion risk)
Quick bursts of activity use up more oxygen than the slower more methodical motions that occur during molting.

Oxygen does plays a limiting role in how big they can develop, because of their passive respiration they can only grow so large before oxygen becomes limiting. (In prehistoric eras there was more oxygen in the atmosphere, that is why you had the moster sized arthropods)

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The lack of oxygen, as you say, isn't whats killing Theraphosa blondi after molts. It's because of our inability to match their native habitat conditions. T.blondi is one species that needs almost percise conditions to thrive and live a long life, there are exceptions though.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where did you get that info? Too much oxygen is harmful to the longevity living creatures. (not to mention an explosion risk)
Quick bursts of activity use up more oxygen than the slower more methodical motions that occur during molting.

Oxygen does plays a limiting role in how big they can develop, because of their passive respiration they can only grow so large before oxygen becomes limiting. (In prehistoric eras there was more oxygen in the atmosphere, that is why you had the moster sized arthropods)
im planning on doing a similar type of experiment as a PhD candidate. *shshsh*!!!

i doubt it will help longevity at all. it will probably make them more short lived. maybe by a lot
but size might be affected (although not enough life span to grow fully).....so the obvious one would be growth rate.