Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What do you think about this Avicularia sp. ?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by fatich, Aug 9, 2011.

1. fatich

fatich Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    This picture; when it was a sling :

[​IMG]

This is another picture of him around 2.5cm :

[​IMG]

This spider came to me as Avicularia purpurea, but it seems it's a different Avicularia , what can it be ?

2. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

Avicularia laeta

3. fatich

Thank you for your answer.

4. mcluskyisms

mcluskyisms Arachnoangel Old Timer

UK
    Certainly not, Avicularia laeta slings are bright blue and then change colour to lilac then turn reddish brown. The first picture looks like an Avicularia purpurea spiderling whilst the 2nd picture I haven't a clue? (I'm not entirely sure the two pictures are of the same spider TBH).

5. fatich

They are exactly the same spider. I really wonder what other people think.

6. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

Must be a lighting issue as you can see the first sipder is blueish and the next one is brownish. I don't know of any other Avicularia sp. That goes through these phases. If it's the same spider, it's A.laeta or a new hybrid haha ;)

7. mcluskyisms

UK
    There is a possibility that it may be Avicularia cf. purpurea I have never owned the white colour form myself although I have heard at juvenile stages they can look lighter than A.purpurea.

8. MrEMojo

MrEMojo Arachnosquire

I'm going to say laeta as well.

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

The lack of color seems to be because of low light

9. mcluskyisms

UK
    This is a picture of a 1" (2.5cm) Avicularia laeta.

[​IMG]

Neither of the photos (lighting or not) are Avicualria laeta, my moneys still on A.purpurea.

:wink:

10. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

This could be a possibility I guess, as I don't have any experience with the white cf either...

To the OP: An important question would be how many times has it molted between the two pictures? That could help scratch off some possibilities...

11. fatich

i really dont know how many times he molted,but maybe 3 times. i will post some pictures after his molt and than it will be better for all of us.

12. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

If it molted 3 times between both pictures, I'm stuck on A.laeta and nothing else. Guess time will tell...

13. Sukai94

Sukai94 Arachnobaron

That sling looks very much like A. purpurea. It's abdomen is covered though so I can't say that for sure.

Was that second picture taken when it just molted? Tarantulas are often that color when they just emerge from a molt. I would be interested to see more pictures of it. The best of luck identifying it.

14. In my opinion it looks like A. purperea. It seems like it has gray coloration as a sling, but after the molt it looks like an A. latae so I have no clue.:o_O:
    However, it could be a stage to get to the purple coloration in A. purperea

15. fatich

Here is a video of him.

i changed many times the title of the video, from A.laeta to A.purpurea ,from A.purpurea to A.laeta.

[YOUTUBE]WjwejKY6lPU[/YOUTUBE]

@Sukai94 the second picture is not right after molt.

16. BrettG

BrettG Arachnoprince

My bet is just a color phase of A.purpurea as well..We have had plenty of avicularia go through odd color "phases" just to end up looking like what they SHOULD look like after a couple more molts.

17. fatich

This spider molted and here are some new pictures,what do you think about him ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  18. ranchulas

ranchulas Arachnobaron

This is not an A. laeta as already stated. I have a group I am raising with sizes ranging from 1.5-4 inches and I can tell you that non are like the Avic being shown here. I argee that the sling resembles an A. purpurea(I have these too), but the colors it has molted out to be intrigue me. At this point from the pictures it does not look like any Avic I have seen. Good luck with the ID. The only thing I can tell you is a positive is that it is not an A. laeta.

---------- Post added 10-24-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

That very last picture with the purple on the lower segment of the leg makes me wonder if its not just a color morph of the A. purpurea. Or maybe just a strange molt color that will end up looking like an adult when it matures??

19. fatich

20. SgtSparkles

SgtSparkles Arachnosquire

well at least it can dace ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.