What do you think about larval stages in Theraphosidae species

surfer

Arachnopeon
I would like to know what do you think about three larval stages in Theraphosidae..
just for your consideration ... few photos Monocentropus balfouri larval stages..
very sorry for the photos, i will do it better next time i hope..

LARVE 1

LARVE 2
...here you can see all larval stages...

LARVE 3

Spiderlings
...litle spiders able to catch live prey...

Thank you very much for any information . .

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Facinating to see how they develop isn't it?

The first stage larvae remind me of the face-huggers from the Alien films!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are tarantula babies/ slings considered larva?

I thought larva was something that went from egg to a feeding organism/juvie, (like a catapiller), then into a cocoon pupated into adulthood. (like a butterfly, moth, dragonfly).
Or even something like ants, they are eggs then worm like larva, then into a cocoon and into adult hood. (some without a cocoon I know)

Someone else care to add to this thread? Cause I honestly have no idea if I am right or not.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with Ryan, I don't think baby Ts or spiderlings should be considered as larva. Here is a/my defention of larva: the immature, wingless, feeding stage of an insect that undergoes complete metamorphosis. I could be wrong, but none the less, great pics.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is a/my defention of larva: the immature, wingless, feeding stage of an insect that undergoes complete metamorphosis.
Was that from a book or something? Sounded like a formal defination not an opinion...... but if that truely is the def then cool I learned something. :clap:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Was that from a book or something? Sounded like a formal defination not an opinion...... but if that truely is the def then cool I learned something. :clap:

Oh no it's not my defenition, it's just one I support. That's the defention I learned from school while I was taking Biology.

surfer

Arachnopeon
Are tarantula babies/ slings considered larva?

I thought larva was something that went from egg to a feeding organism/juvie, (like a catapiller), then into a cocoon pupated into adulthood. (like a butterfly, moth, dragonfly).
Or even something like ants, they are eggs then worm like larva, then into a cocoon and into adult hood. (some without a cocoon I know)

Someone else care to add to this thread? Cause I honestly have no idea if I am right or not.
First one - is egg - second -larva 1 - than larva 2 and than spiderling - young spider abble catch the live prey but some spiders have larve 3 stadium i think...so i do not know if somebody knows somethink about that, i heard P.subfusca has also three larval stages...who knows somethink about that???

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought they were called nymphs...not larvae...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought they were called nymphs...not larvae...
nymphs are almost the same as larvae. Nymphs(had to look this one up): The larval form of certain insects, such as silverfish and grasshoppers, usually resembling the adult form but smaller and lacking fully developed wings

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nymphs are almost the same as larvae. Nymphs(had to look this one up): The larval form of certain insects, such as silverfish and grasshoppers, usually resembling the adult form but smaller and lacking fully developed wings
my point exactly

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my point exactly
Now I did some looking, T slings 1st instar through whatever are not larva.
Metamorphosis occures in anything that would be called larva, meaning while they go from larva to adulthood and they gain some sort of body part, wings, adult colors, sexual maturity,

grasshoppers, usually resembling the adult form but smaller and lacking fully developed wings
Case in point they are missing something.

Slings even at 1st instar have everything in minature. So they are not larva.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I did some looking, T slings 1st instar through whatever are not larva.
Metamorphosis occures in anything that would be called larva, meaning while they go from larva to adulthood and they gain some sort of body part, wings, adult colors, sexual maturity,

Slings even at 1st instar have everything in minature. So they are not larva.
I didn't say they were larvae, my point was that they are the arachnid equivalent of nymphs. At any rate they're just spiderlings.

Case in point they are missing something.
*cough* um...tibial hooks?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
*cough* um...tibial hooks?
That has no determination on ither stage we are talking about,

I didn't say they were larvae,
And I never said they were larva ither and I did not say you did. I am the one that brought up thinking there was a difference because I think there might be a difference.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Larve? Nymph? Try EGGS WITH LEGGS

:) Thats Even Simple

surfer

Arachnopeon
Sorry that is no reason what i am asking for :( nymphs or larves - maybe this is diferences between US and UK English ..sorry i did not asking about that, this post were about larval=nymphs stages of Theraphosidae spiders -3 stages...what species - do you know have three larval stages? :? maybe mole cricket ... .?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:) Thats Even Simple
Eggs with legs have all the parts an adult tarantula has only in miny. How else would eggs with legs be able to eat their sibblings?

Theraphosidae spiders -3 stages...
I just heard yesterday from a friend in the hobby there might be a few Ts that have 3 stages before becoming 1st instar. I am blanking on what ones I was told might be that way.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is more then 1 kind of metamorphosis..
there is 1.complete
2.incomplete
3.Ametabolous metamorphosis
t's have 3 life stages...egg, nymph, adult...theremay be excessive moults between each stage. t's use Ametabolous metamorphosis. meaning there are only slight changes between the stages.
and yes the u.k. says larva the u.s. says nymph

there is alot more about this but i don;t wanna open any more bags.

moose