What do you think about larval stages in Theraphosidae species

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another point you could make is that eggs with legs are in a pupae stage because they are in a cocoon and don't emerge till they are nymphs. yep you could call an eggsack a cocoon.

moose

surfer

Arachnopeon
another point you could make is that eggs with legs are in a pupae stage because they are in a cocoon and don't emerge till they are nymphs. yep you could call an eggsack a cocoon.

moose
Thank you :worship:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Poecilotheria metallica has a extra stage. Whatever you want to call it.;) I've heard/read P.formosa has a extra stage as well.

Not common , but does seem to happen with some spiecies.Thanks for the pics!

later, Tom

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Of everything I know that pupates none do so while eating. Do cocooned larva that turn into butterflys eat while in the cocoon and pupating? Nope. So eggs with legs are not in a pupae stage. They activly eat just like at any other stage of a Ts life. And eggs will legs have ALL of the parts an adult T has, just smaller. Fact.
I think they have a justation period of being carried in the mother and laid in the sac, I dont know what to call that really.....

I am just going to go read the written differences between all this, more then likely I am going to learn something:D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Just FWI for people here that are confused.

He's talking about a system used 'across the pond'.

In the US, we don't use 'larval stages'. We use egg, post-embryo, 1st instar, 2nd instar... etc.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just FWI for people here that are confused.

He's talking about a system used 'across the pond'.

In the US, we don't use 'larval stages'. We use egg, post-embryo, 1st instar, 2nd instar... etc.

-Sean
So it is just a term difference but they are one in the same?
Thank you for sparing me from digging around and finding that.

Can you tell me the defination of post-embryo? Both post embryo and 1st instar can eat.... so whats the major difference?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yeah, pretty much. As said before, because of a few species "abnormal additional stages", the larval stage description can occasionally be more specific.

We have a system that works.. most of the time.:)

-Sean

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are tarantula babies/ slings considered larva?

I thought larva was something that went from egg to a feeding organism/juvie, (like a catapiller), then into a cocoon pupated into adulthood. (like a butterfly, moth, dragonfly).
Or even something like ants, they are eggs then worm like larva, then into a cocoon and into adult hood. (some without a cocoon I know)

Someone else care to add to this thread? Cause I honestly have no idea if I am right or not.
Oh brfore i go running off at the mouth I'd better check my information. Sorry, was going to post my opinon not backed up by facts.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh brfore i go running off at the mouth I'd better check my information. Sorry, was going to post my opinon not backed up by facts.
beautiful.............................i was thinking the same thing.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These are the litteral definitions of both, and they are different.

Nymph-The young of an insect that undergoes incomplete metamorphosis.

Larvae-
1.The newly hatched, wingless, often wormlike form of many insects before metamorphosis.
2.The newly hatched, earliest stage of any of various animals that undergo metamorphosis, differing markedly in form and appearance from the adult.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I give up on trying to figure out what they are lol, we all know what others mean when they say nymphs or larvae, so why does it matter anymore?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I did some looking, T slings 1st instar through whatever are not larva.
Metamorphosis occures in anything that would be called larva, meaning while they go from larva to adulthood and they gain some sort of body part, wings, adult colors, sexual maturity,

Case in point they are missing something.

Slings even at 1st instar have everything in minature. So they are not larva.
just start reading before you post something. your contradicting yourself.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of everything I know that pupates none do so while eating. Do cocooned larva that turn into butterflys eat while in the cocoon and pupating? Nope. So eggs with legs are not in a pupae stage. They activly eat just like at any other stage of a Ts life. And eggs will legs have ALL of the parts an adult T has, just smaller. Fact.
I think they have a justation period of being carried in the mother and laid in the sac, I dont know what to call that really.....

I am just going to go read the written differences between all this, more then likely I am going to learn something:D
In my experience, close to 3000 successful eggs hatch, I have never had the eggs with legs stage eat. After they molt to the first walking stage, they don't eat then either. One more molt, we call this 2nd instar, they start eating.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In my experience, close to 3000 successful eggs hatch, I have never had the eggs with legs stage eat. After they molt to the first walking stage, they don't eat then either. One more molt, we call this 2nd instar, they start eating.
I have a dozen or so pics of my Smithi eggs with legs only hours from popping eating their neighbor.
I have heard this has been seen with H. lividum as well.

just start reading before you post something. your contradicting yourself.
No I am not, I have been saying from the beginning they are not larvae. And it would appear at least by the definition they are not.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I have a dozen or so pics of my Smithi eggs with legs only hours from popping eating their neighbor. I have heard this has been seen with H. lividum as well.

How do you know there feeding, and not just stuck together ?

Later, Tom

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a dozen or so pics of my Smithi eggs with legs only hours from popping eating their neighbor. I have heard this has been seen with H. lividum as well.

How do you know there feeding, and not just stuck together ?

Later, Tom
Well I thought that at first, but my method of manual incubation cuts down on that almost 100%,
And when one latched on I checked back a few hours later and the egg was half of what it was and the egg with legs was much bigger. There are even pairs of them sharing one egg till its dry both getting bigger.

Its been seen before to by others.
and you can see it in my pics above.

Last edited:

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I see in those pics is them sloughing off the soft shell casing they just molted out of.

They will molt once more and then they will be able to walk a little, at this stage they will still not eat. Then they will darken and one more molt, then they will eat and be 2nd instar. The first 2 stages could be called nymph stages.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
[
What I see in those pics is them sloughing off the soft shell casing they just molted out of.
The casing case off from that first stage is clear not yellow like the egg being eaten in the pics.

No that is an egg that is being sucked on........ trust me I watched them. they are still doing it even though I broke them down into smaller groups. They are still eggs with legs and the eating is still going on, trust me I can count them one day and have lets say there are 100 and the next day I am minus 11. There were 1126 eggs and now there are 960. Its happening those eggs are not just disappearing .

I can take many more and try and get zoomed in for you. There is not ifs ands or butts. They are eating each other. And under a microscope you can see their fangs moving back and forth while eating the egg.
They are even eating to the point where they look like they are going to burst.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
They will molt once more and then they will be able to walk a little, at this stage they will still not eat. Then they will darken and one more molt, then they will eat and be 2nd instar. The first 2 stages could be called nymph stages.
I have had 1st instar feed on each other.(rare but it happens) Its unclear if they killed the sibling , or if they found one that died of natural causes, and started sucking on it. 2nd instar is in most cases when they start feeding on there own, cathcing and killing there own prey. As its ben pionted out in this thread, some wont feed on there own until 3rd instar.

I've personally never witnessed post embryo ( eggs w/legs) feeding on each other.

Later, Tom