What do you think about chicken heart as a food ?

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard that some people feed their tarantulas with chicken heart.They say; they clean it well and than offer their tarantulas.

Will it cause any problem? Do you have any ideas ?

Thank you

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing that comes to mind is; Why?

Why would one want to complicate it to that level?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard that some tarantulas will take small bits of beef so why not a chicken heart?

If you can get a T to accept it, I wouldn't consider it a replacement to insects as a primary food source. It probably won't nourish them properly over the long term. Also, this leads right into the calcium debate. Many people think that feeding warm blooded vertebrates as a regular food item leads to defects in fangs and chitin development due to the higher levels of calcium present. Not sure what I think of that but why risk it?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I love chicken hearts deep fried.

It is unnecessary for your 8-legged friend, however. Organ meats, in general, aren't the best for consumption as most operate as some sort of filtering mechanism.

Years ago, many axolotl owners were feeding beef hearts to their salamanders. Beef hearts are high in fat and deficient in other axolotl dietary needs.

Not sure how chicken hearts compare in terms of fat content, though.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems a bit silly to me. I'm sure it could be done but like Fran mentioned above, why bother?.

Stick to feeding whole invertebrates. Its just a much more sound way to guarantee proper nutrition.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a massive ballache when crickets and roaches are cheap, live, and easy to come by.