what do you prefer to keep haplopelmas in?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
kritter keepers, aquariums, deep sterlite boxes?, i'm gonna be getting some killer t's in the next few weeks, and i'm buying some of the deep sterlite boxes to allow them 9-10" of substrate and i think they'll hold humidity perfect for them... what do use?--Jeff

ps. btw, has anyone here found containers similar to the ones that Martin H. and Volker Von Wirth use? those looked so perfect, i have'nt been able to find anything clear enough..

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Well im getting a Cobalt Blue in a bout a week and I think I will just be buying a 5 gallon tank for her to live in. give her about 6" of substrate to dig in. Should be substantial enough and give her some nice walk around room too. But that is just me personally and I like the size of the 5 gallons.

TheDon

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Weappon-X
depending on the size of the Hap. I keep mine in either tall glass jars, so they have about 4-5" substrate, for the larger ones I use a 2-1/2 gallon .the top is half screen half glass lid, It gives them about 6-10" substrate.smaller ones are kept in tall vials,or smaller Jars, Olive jars work good.
Doug

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my H. lividum is in a 5 gallon tank.. substrate is almost to the screen top. Its a mature female though.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kepp them in whatever I can find that is escape proof and will hold at least 5 inches of substrate.

Andy

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yeah i think i'm gonna go with the deep sterlite boxes and allow them 9-10" of soil, i'll never see them but hey when do ever really, plus i've heard its better for breeding--Jeff

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well...I have mine in an extra large critter keeper with the snap tight lid. I use a combination of untreated potting soil (Mostly Sphagnum Peat Moss.) and Terrarium moss for her. Luci seems to be doing fine in her little setup as it is. She's quite content.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i stick to the good ole large kritter keeper with my 3 1/2 inch psychotic lividum.

Risto

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
I use some sort of storage container that is about 15" in length, 10" wide, 3 ft tall, its not see thru but its clear enough to see your T, my big gravid female H schmidti is living in it. with 2 and half feet of substrate with a premade hole which she is now settled down in her hole to make some babies. above the hole I have corkbark for a hide. I believe letting your T to burrow will make her feel at home (thx Martin Huber for this idea)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use clear plastic pickle jars. They are approx 16" deep, and I fill them at least 3/4 of the way full with peat/verm mix.
I solder holes around the bottom, the top, and the lid. Good airflow plus moist peat, they are loving it.
I never see them though.....

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

Originally posted by Haploman
I use some sort of storage container that is about 15" in length, 10" wide, 3 ft tall, its not see thru but its clear enough to see your T, my big gravid female H schmidti is living in it. with 2 and half feet of substrate with a premade hole which she is now settled down in her hole to make some babies. above the hole I have corkbark for a hide. I believe letting your T to burrow will make her feel at home (thx Martin Huber for this idea)
i definetly agree with you jack, and considring you have way more knowledge on t's i certanly will do that:) cool those conatiners really sound deep man!, i plan on DEEP room and ample space for maximum comfort for what i get, i plan on doing breeding in the in near future , gravid H. schimdti oh man now you have me salivating! that must be pretty, good luck man hope you get a sac!--Jeff

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I prefer to keep them in top lid all glass cages, 14x14x14 inch approx in size.
Allows them to burrow and the tank looks neat. Ventilation in the lid