Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What do you guys think? Thinking about startinga breeders Group

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by AzJohn, Sep 28, 2011.

1. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    HI guys,
    I'v been thinking about this for a while now. A big part of the problem with the scorpion hobby in the US is no organization. A few years ago we had some amazing species here in the US. Just look at some of those old posts. We lost those species because no one bothered to breed and distribute those scorpions to any other breeders. I'd like to see a little more organization when it comes to breeding and exchanging rare species.

Here's what I'm thinking about. If I get an arachnosupporter plus subscription I'd be able to start three groups. These groups would be kind of like a subforum. What I'd like to see is a "classified" section that would be for trade only. Basically it would be a way for breeders to exchange rare species and get them to people that would breed the animals. It could be a restricted member forum, that way only breeders would be incuded. I'm not sure about restricting the members, but I'd not want to see a bunch of people putting up adds that aren'r scorpion related. Or people getting in just to grab the rare stuff just to have it. I really would want it to be a place where fairly serious breeders can get together and exchange rare species with the idea to get the species established.

Another idea would be for a care sheet/species description forum. This would be restricted, but visible to everyone if possible, basicaly so that I could keep it organized. I'd like yo get other breeders to be involved in writing caresheets posting pictures ect. I'd be nice to have a place to go if someone asks about what species they should get next. They could look up a good discription of how the animal is cared for, where it comes from, how easy to breed ect, plus a bunch of pictures. It could also be a great place for people to get a look at species we don't have in the US yet or at our lesser known native species.

Lastly I'd consider a kind of planning room??? I think it would be cool to have a place where we as breeder could plan out how to approach the prospect of getting new species. If we know of a limited import coming in it might be nice to know what everyone is getting so we could plan around a way to the most for our money, knid of like saying, "I'll get species a,b, and c you guys get species x,y, and z so we can trade when we've bred them." Or maybe we can figure a way to talk a dealer into doing an import.

Let me know what you guys think.

John

PS I don't want this to duplicate what we have in the scorpion forum.

2. jake9134

jake9134 Arachnosquire

Sounds great to me. I just came back from a reptile show and have a bunch of uncommon scorps that are in need of males. Its hard to find vendors that will/can sex them accurately.

3. Whitecrow

Whitecrow Arachnopeon

This is a great idea!!! Me an afew friends do the same thing with caudatas!! This is a way to get people that like doing it,instead of people that just want to make a buck off the hobby!! Also to keep bloodlines going down the road!!!

4. Twillis10

Twillis10 Arachnosquire

This sounds like a great idea. I have kept a few scorpions over the past few years, but have just started getting into breeding. I would love for something like this to be around once I had the experience to join in. I think the restricted access would be a good idea. Maybe anyone can view the stuff just not post. Especially if it is a discussion kinda forum. I think it would be a while before I would join in, but could be beneficial for me to be able to see what was going on.

5. ranchulas

ranchulas Arachnobaron

Great idea! I have just started with scorpions but I have been in the hobby for 4 years. I am in it for the hobby and like the idea of making sure certain scorpions are around, bred, and taken care of reponsibly. Im in for sure.......

6. Sounds great, you can count me in, I'm all for trying to establish rare scorps in the US hobby, even if you don't get this established you can just send me a pm, I'll definatly be willing to do some trades for rare scorps.

7. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

I'm in also. After all the reading I've done on the environmental movement, I feel we may see more export bans over the years, time will tell. The UN is really into "sustainability" like a cult. And from looking at the past, there's usually very little warning. You go to the pet store and say, "you have any millipedes from Africa?" "No, we can't get those anymore." "Whaaaaaaaaa?". And if it never happens, it's kind of interesting to breed them anyway imo.

8. Bayushi

Bayushi Arachnoprince Old Timer

Count me in, not that I have anything rare... but I am all for the breeding of captive species.

9. I think that is a great idea as long as it is pretty regulated group. Not to be a prick, but the Emperor scorpion ads and inquiries drive me absolutely nuts! I like Pandinus too, but it just gets out of hand on here. I have quite a few of species I'm currently working with, and lots I'd like to get and I have always been up for a good trade. So anyway, PM me if this is going to happen I would surely like to get involved.

---------- Post added 10-01-2011 at 10:30 AM ----------

Plus I know an importer who gets in some interesting species from SE Asia, Malaysia and Indonesia on occasion.

10. sfpearl300z

sfpearl300z Arachnoknight

I would be extremely interested in networking with some serious breeders. I have a few unpaired uncommon species I've been trying to find mates for and breed. Luckily I've found a few generous members (Scorpendra specifically, among others) to help me start some Androctonus breeding, but there's plenty more I could still use.

11. I am definitely going to help as well. I will be getting some rarer U.S. native species very soon and I will start with those.;)

12. BQC123

BQC123 Arachnobaron

PA
    I'd love to get involved. Nothing really rare at the moment, but that is the direction I would like to go. We need to help spread the uncommon species around, and get them firmly established in the hobby.

13. Deftones90

Deftones90 Arachnosquire

I agree with the above reply.

14. Perhaps you should also add a listing of individuals and their current breeding projects section or incorporate that somewhere within the sub-forum? That would make contact with breeders and certain species you may be looking for easier, as well as not flooding the market with people all selling the same species. Like a "yellow pages" of the breeding group.

15. Great idea, I agree.

16. AzJohn

Hi guys, thanks for all the support. The discussion group is up. Go to the community section under groups it their. It's an open membership group so anyone can join. The classified section will be moderated (you click join and I let you in) basically so that people with 0 post don't end up putting up adds, with no reviews. The care sheet section will be moderated or invite, not sure yet. I'd like to keep that very organized. If you guys have any other ideas keep them coming. I'm not sure what I can and can't do yet, we'll figure it out.

17. It looks like you started two groups, I'm not quite sure which group is for what, I'm guessing that the classifieds is just for sales and trades, so I joined both of them. I agree with some of ther earlier posts that there should be some place for people to show what they are currently breeding, I think it will also help when they are looking to do trades.

18. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

I love the idea, and when I have more space/time/scorpions I would love to be involved, specifically involved in breeding scorpions that are in the hobby but are mostly WC, specifically Pandinus and Heterometrus (and for Pandinus, specifically,I'd love for us to have options other than imps and cavs more commonly available).

19. AzJohn

Hi guys I'm testing if I can link a thread here. If it works thwn I'll start a care sheet group.
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/group.php?discussionid=20&do=discuss

Looks like it works, at least for me. I'll start the group. I might be asking some folks to contribute articles on scorpion care. If you want to help with a care sheet, please let me know. I'll get everything started, soon I promise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.