What do you guys think about the Brave Wilderness S. Heros bite?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I doubt this guy would be doing any of this without Schmidt going through and doing the all the legwork on Hymenoptera.

It's a real downer to go out and do outreach and have kids asking me if I've seen of this guy's videos. I usually say no and explain why, but they lose interest pretty quickly when I say I haven't watched them.

Captain Centipede

Arachnopeon
That guy's such a wanker. I can't stand his videos and the sensationalist BS it espouses, along with incorrect IDs. I admit I don't have much experience with centipede venom, but I'm going to assume he hammed it up for more views.
To put things into perspective, I have been bitten by my Hispaniola Alternans twice, Alternans are pretty dang potent and are in a slightly similar league to Asian Scolopendra. Heros on the other hand are much less potent than say Dehaani.

I never uttered a whimper when I was bitten by my Alternans so Coyote is just doing it for shock value.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno what to believe of this guy!? I have seen indian tribe members put there hands in gloves containing 100 bullet ants and kept them on for 10 minutes and just shown pokerfaces! He screams when stung by 1 ant! I must give him credit for beeing one brave man though! I would never consider getting stung by an Tarantula hawk or some ither wasp he gets stung from!

My thoughts can be summed up by this meme I posted on my IG:
View attachment 295898

But yeah, he needs to start practicing what he preaches and stop spreading fear and hate when he proposes to intend to do the opposite. And little does he know that S. heros is far from the top of the ladder. I'm beginning to suspect even E. rubripes has a stronger venom.
What is the Centepide with the worst venom? Inam no expert in this insect group! I really like them though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What is the Centepide with the worst venom?
S. dehaani "Cherry Red" is supposed to be stronger than the other dehaanis, Spinosissima is supposed to be worse than dehaani. Those are probably some of the strongest.

Captain Centipede

Arachnopeon
What is the Centepide with the worst venom? Inam no expert in this insect group! I really like them though!
Everyone reacts differently to pain, but I’d imagine Scolopendra Spinosissima or Scolopendra subspecies Raiu Island Giant have the worst venom and are considerably worse than Dehaani or Subspinipes. Riau Island Giant is new to the hobby and is totally undescribed btw.

Here’s a video on it.

Captain Centipede

Arachnopeon
That didnt seem to be that bad?
This is Mike we’re talking about to be honest. He has done self envenomations for years, if it hurts a guy like him then average joe or even me would be in a bad way. Keep in mind this was the very start of the bite, pain increases considerably as time goes on.

Personally I took a bite from a Vietnamese centipede once and shortly after I didn’t want to be on this earth.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha! Ok, i belive you! Had a friend who was in Thailand and was bitten by some speicies. Her foot swelled up like a baloon

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It would definitely have to be an Asian species, I’d say S. dehaani, S. spinosissima, or S. sp. “Riau Giant”. Mike has also said that his E. rubripes “Sapphire” hurt pretty bad as well.

I have never kept centipedes before but based off of others I would say giganteus or subspinipes.
Agree with subspinipes, but not gigantea. SA giants are HUGE, but their venom is relatively weak, when compared to other Scolopendra anyways. S. heros venom is probably worse than S. gigantea.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You have to take pain levels into consideration. Everybody has a different pain tolerance. As an example, some people can handle getting tattooed for a full day while others cant even sit through an hour. I've heard from a few of my friends that a bite from this species is pretty painful. However, I do think his reaction was over dramatic.

NYAN

Arachnoking

Spinosissima, Hainanum (I can attest to it being very painful), dehaani of any type, especially cherry red, Scolopendra sp. ‘Riau Giant’ and supposedly Ethmostigmus rubripes/platycephelus spinosis

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I was probably pretty lucky with my recent rubripes bite. I've had a couple people tell me a rubripes envenomation was the worst pain they've ever felt from an animal (and in Australia, that's saying a lot).

As for the most venomous centipedes, I'd say hainanum, sp. Riau, dehaani, spinosissima and hardwickei are definitely at the top (in no particular order).

Last edited:

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Yeah, heros certainly are no joke, but he's certainly exaggerating.

Makes me wonder if stuff like bullet ants and pepsis wasps are really that bad.
I'll tell you something for free bro, i have a massive E rubripes and it bit me on the hand. I rate the pain [Im dead serious], twenty times than a jumping jack ant. i nearly had to call an ambulance because it was really that bad. stung for 5 days and my muscles wasted a little but my hand was three times its normal size!

But yeah, he needs to start practicing what he preaches and stop spreading fear and hate when he proposes to intend to do the opposite. And little does he know that S. heros is far from the top of the ladder. I'm beginning to suspect even E. rubripes has a stronger venom.[/QUOTE]
My thoughts can be summed up by this meme I posted on my IG:
View attachment 295898

But yeah, he needs to start practicing what he preaches and stop spreading fear and hate when he proposes to intend to do the opposite. And little does he know that S. heros is far from the top of the ladder. I'm beginning to suspect even E. rubripes has a stronger venom.
Good bloody oath they do bro!

S. dehaani "Cherry Red" is supposed to be stronger than the other dehaanis, Spinosissima is supposed to be worse than dehaani. Those are probably some of the strongest.
i don't know about that mate. my giant australian has survived falls from1.3 metres high, pinned head when i was trying to pick it up and squeezed by my feeding forceps when i was trying to break up a fight between it and a whip snake that had creeped into its tank bro.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just a heads up, the language you used above is not likely to be received well on these forums.

Anyway, how big is your rubripes? My biggest measures 18cm body-length.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Everyone reacts differently to pain, but I’d imagine Scolopendra Spinosissima or Scolopendra subspecies Raiu Island Giant have the worst venom and are considerably worse than Dehaani or Subspinipes. Riau Island Giant is new to the hobby and is totally undescribed btw.

Here’s a video on it.
i reckon ethmostigmus rubripes venom will top that off. when i got bitten i screamed like a little baby ha ha. I'm serious it was worse than coyote petersons centipede bite!

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
I have never kept centipedes before but based off of others I would say giganteus or subspinipes.
you know what im thinking? definitely gotta be scolopendra subspinipes mate! its bite killed an unfortunate 7 year old girl in as little as 29 hours. read it in wikipedia.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
I was probably pretty lucky with my recent rubripes bite. I've had a couple people tell me a rubripes envenomation was the worst pain they've ever felt from an animal (and in Australia, that's saying a lot).

As for the most venomous centipedes, I'd say hainanum, sp. Riau, dehaani, spinosissima and hardwickei are definitely at the top (in no particular order).
on a scale of one to ten how would you rate the pain. i rated my rubripes bite a 10/10!