What do you find is the most fun or exciting part of tarantula keeping

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Honestly, I'm pretty sure almost everyone here has handled, or done SOMETHING irresponsible in their lives at one time or another, as long as you understand the risks, and how unnecessary it is, and act accordingly, it's not something to be angry over. I truly believe the real reason handling is such a touchy subject, isn't so much the act itself, but the people who spout about how beneficial it is for the animal, when in reality, it is quite the opposite. Also these same people seem to get a kick out of their own ignorance, and like to push others buttons. I don't believe people who have, or even do, handle their T's are horrible people, who deserve death, as I believe in people personal freedom, but I find it incredibly selfish, to at least not acknowledge that the practice isn't really the best idea, and should always come with its own set of safety practices, like catch cups, height, and knowledge of T's and their speed, individual temperament, and other risks, like making sure all escape routes are closed off, and probably even more I can't think of. Also, quite honestly, once you've held one, you've held them all, they are much more interesting to observe than to interact with, at least in my humble opinion. Sorry for the long drawn out answer, but just my two cents.
Don't pretend you don't like the giant hand that comes from the sky and throws food at you. And every few months it comes in to throw your house and bedroom like an angry drill instructor.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
May I interest you in the Psytalla side of things?
I'm afraid I already have that interest lol. I've kept a native species or two of assassin bugs that I would catch in my youth, but I haven't ventured deeper into those waters yet. P. horrida has my eye for when I do. As far as invert predators go though, Scolopendra sp take the cake. Haven't gotten past S. dehaani yet, but I have designs too as well.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
when we are at shows and people ask "Why do people keep Pystalla" my response is usually along the lines of "Cause some folks really like Thunderdome"
Have you ever seen a literal life and death rodeo? Then go to Spain or save the money and get a P. Horrida. Very few bugs jump on, and then rodeo yeehaw their prey quite like them.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
There are many exciting aspects, one thing I love is checking Tarantula markets, and when a T get my interest, to do research about this species.
If this T hits the right criterias (size, visibility etc)>>>ordering >>> the best part >>> arriving of the package (+unpacking).

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
Don't pretend you don't like the giant hand that comes from the sky and throws food at you. And every few months it comes in to throw your house and bedroom like an angry drill instructor.
I've heard these explanations before and they crack me up!

Ih but try and apply that anthropomorphic ideoly to an anti handler and u better duck before the tomatoes get thrown at u 😆 🤣

I've heard of gold diggers, but never T diggers...
I thought u were joking since every girl know before I entered the hobby is both terrified of them no matter how I keep saying " keep watching long enough and fear turns to fascination, and if u keep them as ornamental pets, it evolves to appreciation."

Then i.gotta hear the burn it comments and how no one is visiting me anymore lol

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Have you ever seen a literal life and death rodeo? Then go to Spain or save the money and get a P. Horrida. Very few bugs jump on, and then rodeo yeehaw their prey quite like them.
I may borrow this one, I'll give you air quotes and citation

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do I find most fun with Ts ? Definitely feeding time ! It's the one time we see them act much quicker than normal. Plus I love seeing the Happy Dance they often do. Even if they stand still, they're still neat to look at. What was once considered a silly wish (to own an actual T) during my teenage years eventually became reality in my mid-adulthood. What part of owning a 5"+ spider is not considered awesome ? You tell me.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I thought u were joking since every girl know before I entered the hobby is both terrified of them no matter how I keep saying " keep watching long enough and fear turns to fascination, and if u keep them as ornamental pets, it evolves to appreciation."

Then i.gotta hear the burn it comments and how no one is visiting me anymore lol
Casual companion - "What's in that room with the closed door?"

Me - "I just use it for storage."

It's not a lie atleast lol. More than one has probably thought I grow weed lmao.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
I may borrow this one, I'll give you air quotes and citation

This i gotta see.

What do I find most fun with Ts ? Definitely feeding time ! It's the one time we see them act much quicker than normal. Plus I love seeing the Happy Dance they often do. Even if they stand still, they're still neat to look at. What was once considered a silly wish (to own an actual T) during my teenage years eventually became reality in my mid-adulthood. What part of owning a 5"+ spider is not considered awesome ? You tell me.

God I'm such a hippy.

I always feel sorry for the cricket.
But I am prejudiced
the cockroaches and unaffected by meal worm death.
I cannot rip a leg off of a cricket.

Yes. I know how pitiful I am 😆

joossa

Arachnobaron
The learning. And how keeping a T can make you a better person (being patient, caring, attentive, etc.).

Also, seeing them grow over time. :D

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Watching them catch prey would he my favorite. Each time it is something different.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think I like all of it. I can't think of just one thing that I like more than the rest.

I like finding cool new spiders to get.
I like researching their care and natural habitat.
I like setting up their enclosures to suit their needs.
I like tiny landscaping.
I like watching them do regular spider stuff.
I like naming them.
I like feeding them.
I like trying to sex their molts.
I like trying to ventral sex them.
I like getting tiny slings and watching them grow.
I like shopping for new DIY enclosures.
I like shopping for plastic plants and cork bark.
I like getting and making new tools to help with spider care.
I like mixing substrate.
I like feeding them.
I like breeding them.
I like collecting molts and giving them to my friend to make jewelry with.
I like inappropriately talking about tarantulas with people at parties.
I like taking pictures of them.
I like making up stories about the weird things they do.
I like having a buttload of spiders.

I really like all of it a lot.

Phototoxin

Arachnopeon
Taking care of the spider and knowing you have succeeded with each successful mouting phase.

Preservation of threatened species is a good thing too.

And ideals aside they are really nice to observe in their curious and industrious ways!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
This i gotta see.
Yes. I know how pitiful I am 😆
seeing a Pystalla climb on the back of a prey item 2-3x bigger than it is an ride it while it is killing it is gnarly. People ask "What is happening?" and you respond, he's Bronco Busting while he turn that Dubia into a smoothie. Pystalla are the honey badgers of the invertebrate world. They ain't scared of much, if anything