What do you find is the most fun or exciting part of tarantula keeping

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
After reading all these responses I realized I could not choose just one.

Only when it's on my face, over an open fire, or standing on a ladder!
I feel guilty because of the 6 billion criticisms I've read about why u shouldn't. I don't handle now but I always want to.
Karma my A. Avicularia M6
Is so sweet and tolerant. I love hanging out with her

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
I feel guilty because of the 6 billion criticisms I've read about why u shouldn't. I don't handle now but I always want to.
Karma my A. Avicularia M6
Is so sweet and tolerant. I love hanging out with her
Honestly, I'm pretty sure almost everyone here has handled, or done SOMETHING irresponsible in their lives at one time or another, as long as you understand the risks, and how unnecessary it is, and act accordingly, it's not something to be angry over. I truly believe the real reason handling is such a touchy subject, isn't so much the act itself, but the people who spout about how beneficial it is for the animal, when in reality, it is quite the opposite. Also these same people seem to get a kick out of their own ignorance, and like to push others buttons. I don't believe people who have, or even do, handle their T's are horrible people, who deserve death, as I believe in people personal freedom, but I find it incredibly selfish, to at least not acknowledge that the practice isn't really the best idea, and should always come with its own set of safety practices, like catch cups, height, and knowledge of T's and their speed, individual temperament, and other risks, like making sure all escape routes are closed off, and probably even more I can't think of. Also, quite honestly, once you've held one, you've held them all, they are much more interesting to observe than to interact with, at least in my humble opinion. Sorry for the long drawn out answer, but just my two cents.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
There are many points. The development of the animals and one's own competence. The observation, the feeding, the exchange with others ... etc ...
Breeding is of course really big!
The observation is great.
The stuff I did wrong in setups became clear just by watching, and documenting.
Initially when I was reading care sheets and videos I wasn't realizing I was acquiring faster than I was able to remember who needs what.

I also learned the importance of making I remember WHICH of those slings will haul *ss right out of bottle or enclosures.
I got too comfortable with all of the others and now I have a missing t in my room. I keep hoping for a wall sighting and never give up hope lol
Lord.
Thank God my husband has been turned into a spider man.
And I also learned the importance of making sure u label enclosures quickly.
Don't walk away to cook after having botanically chemicaled up and return to the newly arrived slings now forgetting who was who.
I had to wait and still am with a few hiders to molt so i could visually identify them based on having looked at the pictures before and after purchase.
I am now down to only 2 that may be one or the other, and those preprinted labels i made have question marks.
They are pretty big now and hide less.
It was the old world
But I rehoused recently and think I got it right. It was old world levitate prone pokie slings I was worried about.
Some like the Venezuelan sun tiger the versicolor grammalostolas, the p. Metallica and more ate easy to identify. Right out of the gate as teeny weeny slings.
I've learned much in keeping them alive thank God.

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just seeing them. Actually having such amazing animals in my house.

Feeding.

Taking their pics.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
Honestly, I'm pretty sure almost everyone here has handled, or done SOMETHING irresponsible in their lives at one time or another, as long as you understand the risks, and how unnecessary it is, and act accordingly, it's not something to be angry over. I truly believe the real reason handling is such a touchy subject, isn't so much the act itself, but the people who spout about how beneficial it is for the animal, when in reality, it is quite the opposite. Also these same people seem to get a kick out of their own ignorance, and like to push others buttons. I don't believe people who have, or even do, handle their T's are horrible people, who deserve death, as I believe in people personal freedom, but I find it incredibly selfish, to at least not acknowledge that the practice isn't really the best idea, and should always come with its own set of safety practices, like catch cups, height, and knowledge of T's and their speed, individual temperament, and other risks, like making sure all escape routes are closed off, and probably even more I can't think of. Also, quite honestly, once you've held one, you've held them all, they are much more interesting to observe than to interact with, at least in my humble opinion. Sorry for the long drawn out answer, but just my two cents.
U really hit then nail on the head with saying they are better to watch than handle.
I have a hilarious video of me trying to immediately interact with my newly arrived very large pamphobeteus nigricolor.
I put him in a giant arboreal God help me, under bright lights in a brand new strange environment.
I was far too eager and being fearless to scary creatures I went stupidly into Steve Irwin mode.

It' not just guilt and certainly not fear.
I've been bitten by several snakes and loads of biter in veterinary ER.
Over time while watching them I find i dont want to ruin their peace.
Even the ones I call unwanted step children i care about very much as individuals.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I plead guilty!

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love watching them build webs, burrows and just take a stroll. I can literally sit there for hours and watch them go about their business. Feeding and watering them is like therapy for me too, I love watching them eat!

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Im baffled how I didn't get into tarantulas sooner, I've always had a fondness for spiders ever since I was a kid, I love researching and reading about all the different species and their husbandry requirements, setting up enclosures, feeding, watching them grow and documenting molts...I enjoy pretty much everything involved in keeping.

Uial

Arachnosquire
I like building the enclosures. I like watching them walk about slowly, exploring, and I like when they are comfortable in their enclosure and have picked a favorite spot where they sit most of the time. And I love the stand-offs they have with Dubia roaches, waiting, watching as the T places one leg on that roach and when it moves, the T strikes, just the best.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I mostly like watching them grow and do their thing. There is something really cool about the process of going from a tiny sling to behemoth. While I find molting fascinating, I worry way too much to make that a favorite.
oh, and I get to do the hobby with my fave human, my daughter

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I love predatory animals in general and watching their hunting behavior is fascinating. Their ease of care and the fact I can go on vacation or travel for work for a week and not worry about them is what drew me to them in this stage of my life. Other than that, I find the most exciting part is how this hobby can force you to branch out, grow, or incorporate others like reading for research, cage design, photography, data analysis, etc.
May I interest you in the Psytalla side of things?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
May I interest you in the Psytalla side of things?
when we are at shows and people ask "Why do people keep Pystalla" my response is usually along the lines of "Cause some folks really like Thunderdome"

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Best part about T keeping is obviously all the woman. It’s like living life on cheat mode. It’s like going out with a puppy. The women just flock like seagulls to a beach full of fish.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
Just seeing them. Actually having such amazing animals in my house.

Feeding.

Taking their pics.
There are enogh pictures
Best part about T keeping is obviously all the woman. It’s like living life on cheat mode. It’s like going out with a puppy. The women just flock like seagulls to a beach full of fish.
Well there's something itbwould you don't hear often in this hobby lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
Also... I feel the sarcasm in this statement.
Online dating and I always get the "How many pets do you have??"

"Do you really want to know?"