What do you find is the most fun or exciting part of tarantula keeping

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me it would probably be seeing one of my T's molt and anticipating how big its gonna be.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
There are many points. The development of the animals and one's own competence. The observation, the feeding, the exchange with others ... etc ...
Breeding is of course really big!

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I enjoy making/setting up the enclosures, learning about the animals and where they're from, discussing the hobby with other hobbyists, observing them, feeding them...... The list goes on :)

Last edited:

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
My favourite part is watching them web up and make the enclosure their own. Moulting is a close second, though!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
building and setting up enclosures, and then rehousing them into them, and then watching themselves establish themselves into their homes -ie webbing, burrowing, moving dirt.

But the most rewarding is always buying slings and growing them up from their first instars into adults. Watching them grow is the best.

......I hit a new low last night....... I sang happy birthday to two of my recent favorites that I got at 2i that just hit a year old.....Yup that’s right.

and @Poonjab I didn’t get to your breeding reenactment but I hit the low of reenacting the molting process highlighting the post molt stretching and pumping hemolymph through the legs hahahaha it’s happening.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Honestly watching them walk is so exciting for me.
I will spend 10 minutes watching them sit still so i can catch them walk around for a few seconds.
Reminds me of meteor watching

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I love all of it.
I love making new enclosures and moving spiders into them. I love all the work they do burrowing and webbing and totally rearranging what I built for them. Love feeding time of course. I love the accomplishment of seeing a molt cycle completed and look forward to the next molt. I'm looking forward to a time in the future when I can start breeding.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Day-to-day: Feeding time
Overall: The satisfaction from watching slings grow into adults.

None of it is bad though. I also enjoy the creativity that comes along with finding potentially suitable enclosures and making them appropriate.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I love predatory animals in general and watching their hunting behavior is fascinating. Their ease of care and the fact I can go on vacation or travel for work for a week and not worry about them is what drew me to them in this stage of my life. Other than that, I find the most exciting part is how this hobby can force you to branch out, grow, or incorporate others like reading for research, cage design, photography, data analysis, etc.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The best part is slowly watching them grow with you and the second best thing overall is that they're super cheap and very affordable to keep in terms of care/enclosure.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Mine would probably be feeding time, I find it so fun to watch the "hunt" even just the presence of T's in my room, I love it.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
I find seeing your fossorials out and about pretty rewarding, especially ts that you raised up from a tiny sling starting to become more bold and staying out more often.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
building and setting up enclosures, and then rehousing them into them, and then watching themselves establish themselves into their homes -ie webbing, burrowing, moving dirt.

But the most rewarding is always buying slings and growing them up from their first instars into adults. Watching them grow is the best.

......I hit a new low last night....... I sang happy birthday to two of my recent favorites that I got at 2i that just hit a year old.....Yup that’s right.

and @Poonjab I didn’t get to your breeding reenactment but I hit the low of reenacting the molting process highlighting the post molt stretching and pumping hemolymph through the legs hahahaha it’s happening.

This is so great.

The love is real.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
For me, everything about them is fun and exciting. I have spent 75% of my life keeping, breeding and working with predatory animals. Tarantulas are new to me, I've only been in this hobby for just over a year, and I would not have ventured into it without having a real fascination for them.
Getting new specimens is always exciting. Feeding is of course always a fun part of keeping them, especially now that mine are growing and becoming more bold in their enclosures. I've gone from hardly ever seeing any of them to seeing 95% of my collection every time I feed them.