What do you feed your scorpions?

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

Ok I've been discussing this with a few people about why a lot of captive bred scorpions do not get as big as their wild predecessors. I have one B. jacksoni from a few years back that I raised, but he never got very big. In fact the WC adult B. jacksoni I just bought not long ago are monsters compared to him. So my questions are:

Are we not giving them a varied enough diet?

Are we feeding them too often?

Are we feeding the food the wrong things?

What has brought you success in this matter?

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Not giving a varied diet could be a possibility.
Crickets are really the only feeders availble in Canada, for scorpions anyway.

I give my full grown Pandius Spp. (Emps & Red Claw) Pinky Mice. Once every few months.
Figure it can't hurt providing a diffrent meal once and awhile.

Cant really do that with a B. jacksoni tho lol.

Are u sure the WC is a B. Jacksoni and not a B. Gigias?
Could explain the size difference.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure if there is a size difference between WC and CB specimens, but just for the hell of it, an explanation could be that those WC specimens survived in the wild due to them not being runts and being the larger, more suited ones for survival. In CB specimens, we can rear runts to adulthood while they may not have survived to adulthood in the wild.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Ok I've been discussing this with a few people about why a lot of captive bred scorpions do not get as big as their wild predecessors. I have one B. jacksoni from a few years back that I raised, but he never got very big. In fact the WC adult B. jacksoni I just bought not long ago are monsters compared to him. So my questions are:

Are we not giving them a varied enough diet?

Are we feeding them too often?

Are we feeding the food the wrong things?

What has brought you success in this matter?

From my experience I've noticed just the opposite. The CB scorpions I've raised from instar to adult are allmost always bigger than their WC parents. If you think about it, in captivity they are given much more food than they would get in the wild. Even just feeding crickets I've seen my CB Tityus, Centruroides, and Rhopalurus babies end up noticably bigger than there parents.

John

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are u sure the WC is a B. Jacksoni and not a B. Gigias? Could explain the size difference.
Well I made a post a week ago when I got them and everyone seemed to think they're just huge B. jacksoni because of the lighter coloration. You can see the post here and tell me what you think. At first glance when I saw them in the store I freaked.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=195385

Well it is good to here about what other people's experiences are and that it isn't what I thought. I'm working with mostly and only buthids so we'll see how things go. I'll have plenty of experimenting to do with what was born over the past few days.

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They looked like they were about to pop. They were all dry in their setup and probably not fed well either when I found them. I got 4 gravid females and 3 males. I just hope the babies will get as big as the adults.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They looked like they were about to pop. They were all dry in their setup and probably not fed well either when I found them. I got 4 gravid females and 3 males. I just hope the babies will get as big as the adults.
Wow, that's great, I would have jumped all over that!
Keep us updated on those females and your broods to come :)