What do you do with your tarantulas molts?šŸ˜

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I only managed to save a few and keep them in a drawer as well. I always forget that they're there and I constantly scare myself :rolleyes:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Iā€™m saving them up to make a skin suit.
Sometimes I give them away to people who want them.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Iā€™m saving them up to make a skin suit.
Sometimes I give them away to people who want them.
I hope you don't keep many new world species with urticating setae... Ouch!

We usually put them into a spare catch cup for a few weeks then most go into the trash. Haven't managed to get any really impressive intact exuvia from large specimens yet, so that might change, but for now it's "in a cup on top of the enclosure until we need the cup" generally.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I keep a few on top of the enclosures but when I watch my Tā€™s and breath they will move and it freaks me out so Iā€™ll probably get rid of them.
Will isopods eat molts???

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I save mine in a case that has adjustable compartments. I write the molt dates on top. I work at a children's science center and I show the molts when I talk about arthropods. Not only do they help the kids better understand the concept of molting, they stop being afraid of spiders once they find out spiders start out as "babies." :)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Usually throw them away.

I've tried to display some pretty intact ones but I usually end up scaring myself until the cats eventually shred them.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I've been saving them...I don't know why.

I have labeled a bunch now that are from slings that are 1.25" or larger...So I need to put them under a digital microscope and sex them.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I save them but for no good reason. I have tubes and little containers full of sling molts, and I give my larger molts to friend of mine who uses them to make jewelry.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I save them but for no good reason. I have tubes and little containers full of sling molts, and I give my larger molts to friend of mine who uses them to make jewelry.
What kind of jewelry? Do you have pictures? Sounds really interesting and I've never heard of this before... I somehow imagine an emerald C. versicolor carapace ring :lol:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
@Chroma Trigger She uses the chelicerae to make necklaces and earrings so far but she said she wants to use other parts to make jewelry, as well.

Edit: She's also used some deceased specimens to make me some keepsakes of them.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
@Chroma Trigger She uses the chelicerae to make necklaces and earrings so far but she said she wants to use other parts to make jewelry, as well.

Edit: She's also used some deceased specimens to make me some keepsakes of them.
That's really cool! I have seen tarantulas preserved in wax and resin before, but using molts for this kind of art is a great idea. I did not have a death in my collection yet, but I'll definitely want to preserve them one way or another.