What do T's survive on when fasting?

Daesu

Arachnopeon
I'm having a discussion with friends about how T's survive when they are fasting and what they live off.
For example a Camel will survive using it's fat stored in the hump, what is the equivalent for a tarantula?
I don't think it's fat that they live off but I don't know what it is in the abdomen that sustains them.

Daesu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply.
Is it stored in the tarantula equivalent of blood though or something else?
Kinda specific I know but just interested.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that you have to take into consideration that, unlike many other animals (mammals, for instance), they don't need to eat often to be healthy. They have much lower food and water requirements than many other animals. Some hobbyist feed theirs once a month, and the spiders do fine. Although a fast of a couple months seems horrifying to us, it's really nothing to a tarantula. You can't really compare them to a camel (or any other mammal for that matter) as those are animals that normally need to eat daily. Tarantulas also aren't particularly active creatures, and they are masters at conserving energy for when they need it. When they're fasting, they are often in burrows or standing in one place, so they're not using up a ton of energy that they will need to replenish through eating. I think some folks that are used to mammalian pets are blown away by how long these animals can go without eating. That said, in spiders, I think the caeca is the organ that stores food. Whatever they don't need can be stored here for future use. It they take down a large meal, they can break down what they need for energy, and store the rest for when they need it.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Stored nutrients and water, the same way we can fast for a month like Ramadan, Muslims can fast for a month in May 27th 2017 - June 25th 2017 , we can all fast for several weeks depending how much body mass we have, the same applies to our beloved spiders although in a different manner as quoted above by @Venom1080

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think that you have to take into consideration that, unlike many other animals (mammals, for instance), they don't need to eat often to be healthy. They have much lower food and water requirements than many other animals. Some hobbyist feed theirs once a month, and the spiders do fine. Although a fast of a couple months seems horrifying to us, it's really nothing to a tarantula. You can't really compare them to a camel (or any other mammal for that matter) as those are animals that normally need to eat daily. Tarantulas also aren't particularly active creatures, and they are masters at conserving energy for when they need it. When they're fasting, they are often in burrows or standing in one place, so they're not using up a ton of energy that they will need to replenish through eating.
I think he gets that, I believe he's just asking how they do it.

cold blood

Staff member
Same as any animal that fasts...stored fat/nutrient supply...and just like humans, the fatter the t, the longer it can fast.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think he gets that, I believe he's just asking how they do it.
Sorry, I accidentally posted before I was done writing. The rest was: In spiders, I think the caeca is the organ that stores food. Whatever they don't need can be stored here for future use. It they take down a large meal, they can break down what they need for energy, and store the rest for when they need it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see a lot of plausible explanations, but I see the most obvious one has been overlooked- they are ordering delivery from Pizza Hut and you aren't aware enough to notice this. It's a common behavior, don't feel bad.

Daesu

Arachnopeon
pizza! i wonder what type? surely pepperoni, or maybe i'm just projecting onto my T's again...

Timc

Arachnosquire
I see a lot of plausible explanations, but I see the most obvious one has been overlooked- they are ordering delivery from Pizza Hut and you aren't aware enough to notice this. It's a common behavior, don't feel bad.
Oh that's why they fast..I ordered from Pizza Hut in January...good thing I had a couple mealworms back then to hold me over!

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Stored nutrients and water, the same way we can fast for a month like Ramadan, Muslims can fast for a month in May 27th 2017 - June 25th 2017 , we can all fast for several weeks depending how much body mass we have, the same applies to our beloved spiders although in a different manner as quoted above by @Venom1080
Yes Muslims completely stop eating for a whole month.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I thought durring Ramadan they can only eat before sun up and after sun down? So they do eat, just not durring daylight hours.
My mistake, I was under the impression Muslims fast for the whole month of Ramadan, I have queried what you said and that is what a friend said, he is fasting at the moment, but when sun goes down they do eat and drink, thanks for the correction. You learn something new every day.

Last edited: