what do I need to do to keep a house centipede as a pet?

ian s

Arachnopeon
I've wanted to keep one for a long while now but the last time I tried it drowned in the water I gave it :(

What is the best way to keep these guys? What size tank is best? Can they eat mealworms? How should I give it water? Whats the best substrate? Is temperature important? Anything else I need to know? Please help I don't want to loose another!

freewaffles

Arachnopeon
ok, there is many ways to keep these guys. i would use a decent sized plastic tub with small air holes. You can use coconut fiber, dirt, or potting soil. Give them a hide to stay under and make sure that the distance from ground to lid is a lot because they are extremely fast and you don't want it to escape. For centipedes i like to give my stone centipedes wax worms and disabled crickets. But you can also give them small earthworms or nightcrawlers. for the water dish i usually don't give mine one because it's too easy for them to drown in. I usually just spraw the enclosure a good amount of times every day.

ian s

Arachnopeon
Okay cool thanks! My centipede is just a baby, only like an inch or less long. Should I be giving him extra small bugs too eat?

freewaffles

Arachnopeon
yeah you should definitely take that mealworm out and maybe find a small spider or ant to give him

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
I would purchase flightless fruit flies or pinhead crickets. You could also try catching flies around your house with a net, then put them into the fridge to stun them, then give them to the centipede!