What do I do?????

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello All,

I have a female P. Irminia at about 3 inches. She is in a 5 in in diameter deli container that is about 7 inches tall. She seems cramped and I would like to re house but, well you know Irminias. What is the best way to do this without her bolting???

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get her new tank ready, and just take the lid off the old container and put it in the new tank and close the lid of the new tank. Leave her and eventually she will come out and wander. Then remove the old container.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's almost like dealing with new aquarium fish. you keep them in the same container, expose them to their new environment with the old container, and then in time, release them (or in the T's case, release itself). it allows for a lower shock value and i'm sure would make it less stressful if they adjust to the new enviro. by themselves.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You might have to have some patience. I say that only because sometimes using this method the T stays in the old enclosure for weeks. I had one that stayed in it and used it as a hide basically. She would come out and night and stalk things, but come daylight she was right back in the little container and had it webbed to the ground. :rolleyes:

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the old tank is smaller than the new one, put it into the new and leave the T alone, she will look around and will go to the new one, only be patient

AmazingInverts

Arachnopeon
I agree. Put the old container (if size will allow) in the new one and let it come out on it's own.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get her new tank ready, and just take the lid off the old container and put it in the new tank and close the lid of the new tank. Leave her and eventually she will come out and wander. Then remove the old container.
I agree, that is how I rehouse my pokies and anything fast and skittish, it does work, it just requires patience.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yup... that works great. The only drawback is some spiders will insist on keeping their old setup in addition to having the new one to play in. This isn't a problem really unless the new setup is intended to be a really pretty on display type enclosure where a smaller container inside would make it not look nice. I had a GBB that would NOT give up his baby cage and he made sure by webbing that thing down completely. Also had a B.smithi do the same with a deli cup, except she burrowed under it and was using the deli as the roof of her burrow.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello All,

I have a female P. Irminia at about 3 inches. She is in a 5 in in diameter deli container that is about 7 inches tall. She seems cramped and I would like to re house but, well you know Irminias. What is the best way to do this without her bolting???
She is not really cramped at all. I have kept adults in a slightly bigger container then that 7x8. They will just web it in and make a area that is just big enough for them to fit.

I would not worry about her but if you want to then place a container over her container, use a deli cup, with a hole in the bottom. Place a long tube down the hole and move the tarantula out of the container. Cap the end and move to the next container. I will take pictures on how to do this.

Last edited:

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Having just had
"an experience"http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=92939

I have thought up a variation of the be patient technique.

Close off the drain in your bathtub. Place the old enclosure in the tub. Take a smaller container, in this case a specimen cup. Carefully remove anything in the way from the enclosure and then cup the spider with the specimen cup. P. irminia will (should, we hope) run up hill into the cup. If it takes off then it will(should) be contained in the bathtub.Then place the specimen cup into the new enclosure, upright, and it will (should) walk uphill.
Remove the specimen cup.

At any point in this process if something goes wrong, please simply remove the spider from your face, place it in the new enclosure, and go to the nearest emergency room. And change your undies. :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like the bathtub method as well. There is a higher chance of having to free hand a T in the tub though............... so the tank in tank method works well too. I have used both.

Sometimes I just take them out into the middle of the street so they are far away from anything to climb or hide near and thats where I do the transfer.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the bathtub method as well. There is a higher chance of having to free hand a T in the tub though............... so the tank in tank method works well too. I have used both.

Sometimes I just take them out into the middle of the street so they are far away from anything to climb or hide near and thats where I do the transfer.
are you joking about the transfer in the STREET :? %%% phil

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
are you joking about the transfer in the STREET :? %%% phil
No why would that be a joke? Did it sound like I was joking?

With faster Ts in a large open area they are easy to deal with, if they make a break for it you just let them run. Place the new container in front of it and try again. If it bolts it bolts. Eventually they tire and will walk into the new home. Transfer complete. Most of the time it never even happens like that they just walk right into the new container. Its just easier when there is not something one foot away they can climb or hide under. I live at the end of a drive and in the middle of the street there is nothing for them to get to in almost 50 feet in all directions.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i coax my Ts into a small container (vial) and put them into the new enclosure from there. it's only gone wrong once, and only because i got impatient with a pokie.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No why would that be a joke? Did it sound like I was joking?

With faster Ts in a large open area they are easy to deal with, if they make a break for it you just let them run. Place the new container in front of it and try again. If it bolts it bolts. Eventually they tire and will walk into the new home. Transfer complete. Most of the time it never even happens like that they just walk right into the new container. Its just easier when there is not something one foot away they can climb or hide under. I live at the end of a drive and in the middle of the street there is nothing for them to get to in almost 50 feet in all directions.
i live in a flat / apartment that is very high with lots of the same in the block around me so i would not try that as it would be good bye ( t ) with about 100 feet drop

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How could it be good bye T with a 100 foot drop if you are out in to open in the middle of the street? Not the roof man, the STREET.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WOW, thanks for all of the advice. I am going to give the bath tub way a shot over the weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but you can put the T with it's enclosure(seems small enough) into the fridge for a couple of minutes, like 3, and that will slow it down drastically. Note: Do not leave to do something else, stand by the friday for the whole time you leave it in there, you don't want to forget about it and have it freeze to death.

The other ways mentioned would work just as well too though. Good luck and have fun.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DO NOT put your baby in the refrigerator! MOTHER OF ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL!

Either do the put the whole enclosure in the the new enclosure thing OR my guaranteed (NOT!) bathtub little cup method.

Either way it will be an exciting adventure! THIS is what keeping crazy, fast tarantulas is all about!

Refrigerator! MY GOD! This is a tropical tarantula that we love and adore! It's speed and defensiveness are to love and cherish, not fear.

After the transfer is complete, go to the fridge and pour yourself a cold one!