What do female jumping spiders do with infertile egg sacks?

remarah1337

Arachnosquire
Hello I have two Phiddipus Regius slings! I have no idea if one, both or neither will be female, so I want to ask in advance.

I heard female jumping spiders lay infertile eggs and guard them for weeks without eating.

Do you confiscate the infertile egg sac? Maybe I'm a softie but I think it's kind of rude. I know they don't have emotions like us, but you know. I heard they would guard their egg sac with their life and become very defensive so I doubt that would be a great idea anyway.

What exactly happens? Do they just realize its infertile after awhile or do they know from the get go?

spigy

Arachnopeon
From my experience, the females will realize after 2-3 weeks (maybe a month) that the sac is a dud and will either eat or abandon it. Most females will still drink water if you spray near the nest and some will still take food offered with tongs (or leave right near the entrance and wait). There shouldn't be a need to shoo her from the sac unless she's really not budging after a month or so. I'm not an expert, please seek more opinions still.