What do aphonopelma seemanni do in the winter in captivity? Its winter down in the 30s and lower at night in reno.

Bernistarantulas

Arachnopeon
I live in reno and it's freezing already what do tarantulas do in the winter in captivity

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have an aphonopelma seemanni whi recntly burrowd after be out for so long and when it started to get cold
So you are talking about in captivity. You control this with some sort of heat source. Space heater or a heat mat with a thermostat.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Heard you can fry your T with a heating mat?
If you don’t know how to use them, yes. Most people, either don’t know how to use correctly with a thermostat or jump on the band wagon that they are bad and tell everyone not to use them.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you don't want to heat the entire room and only have one or two spiders, you can safely use a heat mat. Even just by putting your enclosure in a larger container and using the mat to heat that so the heat is not directly applied to the enclosure. An added thermostat makes this sort of setup very safe and reliable.

Bernistarantulas

Arachnopeon
If you don't want to heat the entire room and only have one or two spiders, you can safely use a heat mat. Even just by putting your enclosure in a larger container and using the mat to heat that so the heat is not directly applied to the enclosure. An added thermostat makes this sort of setup very safe and reliable.
Ok sounds like something i wanna look into. And will a heat mat be ok when i leave for 2 day?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Ok sounds like something i wanna look into. And will a heat mat be ok when i leave for 2 day?
It should if set up properly.
Search on here. I bet this has been gone over by people who use them more than me but i have never had a problem with them. I have mainly just used them for plants and roaches, though. Lol

Bernistarantulas

Arachnopeon
It should if set up properly.
Search on here. I bet this has been gone over by people who use them more than me but i have never had a problem with them. I have mainly just used them for plants and roaches, though. Lol
I keep my house at 66 at night and 68 during the day saves me money read 50 50 on here about heating mats for T's. Im going to be using a humidifier for the winter cuz it get super dry in the winters.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If the temperature is in the high sixties during the winter, you don't even need the heat mat.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Aphonopelma seemanni come from the tropics. They don't experience winter, or even colder temperatures, so they aren't doing anything differently. Costa Rica and Nicaragua are pretty much always between 70-80°F - maybe falling a bit below that at night in the colder months. What we consider as average 'room temperature' is fine for them.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in reno and it's freezing already what do tarantulas do in the winter in captivity
Since you took on the responsibility of taking care of an animal it is your duty to give your tarantula the proper heat source in your room. I use one up to three 250 heat lamps in my tarantula room. Depending how cold it is outside my room temperature can be 80 to 90 degrees. The heat lamps are facing the window. The window section is where it’s not insulated. Compare to other parts of the section of the home.
D409068C-C370-4F96-A005-5F7EF0BB5027.jpeg F88073DC-53CE-4002-A1D8-ABB19E8128C1.jpeg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
If you're concerned about it, just get a space heater for that room. Or get something you can use in emergencies when the power goes out. My power went out recently and I had quite the scare. But generally speaking, as long as you're comfortable at room temperature in your house, they probably are too.