What did YOU do last night?

Ray72

Arachnopeon
20161217101220_IMG_0899.JPG
Someone had a good night! My first molt I knew was happening, realized it's a lot easier when you just find a molt. Finding your baby on her back is nerve wracking!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It´s a bit scary the first couple of times you witness it, but you will get used to it. What species is this? GBB?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It´s a bit scary the first couple of times you witness it, but you will get used to it. What species is this? GBB?
This ^^^
But even after long time of keeping, it is still awesome to see. I know a breeder in the Netherlands grabs a chair, some chips and a beer, and watches the whole thing happening, even after 15+ years of keeping tarantula. :)

Ray72

Arachnopeon
This ^^^
But even after long time of keeping, it is still awesome to see. I know a breeder in the Netherlands grabs a chair, some chips and a beer, and watches the whole thing happening, even after 15+ years of keeping tarantula. :)
That will be me I hope. I'm so amazed and enamoured with them. -confessions of a former arachnophobe-

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I found my t stirmi on her back right before I had to work. She was all done by lunch break, so I missed th we whole thing. I would have just sat there and watched her if she would have done it on the weekend.

Ray72

Arachnopeon
I found my t stirmi on her back right before I had to work. She was all done by lunch break, so I missed th we whole thing. I would have just sat there and watched her if she would have done it on the weekend.
I was lucky, I was scheduled late this morning but typically we will "split the day" on the weekend so I was able to come in late! I watched it and was so amazed. You can watch all the videos you want but seeing it in person is awe inspiring.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Most of the time there isn't anything to worry about. Just leave them alone and they will be fine. I found 3 molts today while doing maintenance and they all did just fine without me worrying about them.

Estein

Arachnoknight
This ^^^
The last time my porteri molted, I was walking by with my dinner plate and happened to see that her carapace had popped. I just sat down and ate right there--so cool! :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm guessing I won't ever get used to it either! I'm a worrier by nature.
It is not so much the molting itself that worries me. I actually feel some relief when i see a spider molting. The premolt phase can be worrying for me sometimes, especially when it takes six months, and i see the abdomen getting smaller.
Oh well, after worrying about EVERYTHING the first few months, i am now much more relaxed, knowing they know perfectly well how to spider without me doing anything :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Was giving my Ts water this morning before work and found my sub-adult female B. smithi on her back and still had a half second "holy crap what?" moment even after having been through plenty of molts. I guess it's just one of those things where you see it out of the corner of your eye and its such a weird position for a spider to be in that you still do a double take sometimes.