What did I get myself into?

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a couple of aggressive tarantulas, for the first time, and I am curious if anyone has any advice on how to handle them? One is an usumbara orange baboon and the other is a cobalt blue. The cobalt blue wouldn't even let me change her into a bigger container :D and the baboon...well i just opened the lid and placed the container in the larger one.... So does anyone have any advice? I don't plan to be picking them up and playing with them or anything :D I just don't want them getting loose or anything silly like that :rolleyes:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have found that both are rather non-combative, AS LONG as you are not messing about in their 'space'. Changing their containers aside, feeding and watering are a breeze. Once they make a burrow, or hiding place where they feel safe, unless it's disturbed, they will not feel the need to attack an intruder...just my experience with them anyway.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so that would explain it.. I was kinda trying to get the one to move out of her little deli cup so I could put her in something bigger. She just displayed at me, and then ran in circles around the deli cup so I put the lid back on and left her alone. I guess when it comes time to clean the cage of the usumbara... I have to get creative and get her out of there so I can do it. Good thing I only have to do it on a not too frequent basis :D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My experience with these species mirrors Holley's. I give them deep substrate and pieces of cork bark to hide under. None of them are particularly aggressive most of the time because they feel safe and secure in their cages. I spot-clean frequently with chopsticks and they usually stay hidden in their burrows the whole time.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For my Usumbara I sometimes have to go into its cage to clean it or to replace substrate or to retrieve a molt in his hide. Everytime I do this I have to remove the spider because he is mean. To do this, I take a deli cup and place it in a corner of his cage. Then I coax the spider with a chopstick into the corner. HE runs in short little bursts and usually ends up running right into the deli cup. THen I let him relax for a second once he is in there and then i quickly pop the lid on. He doesnt act friendly but it contains him.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

The bathtub is your friend, the bathtub is your friend...

-V

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bathtub is your friend, the bathtub is your friend...
Believe me, I'm going to take advantage of the big, slippery bathtub that my spiders can't get out of too easily :D Especially since I have a few of Houdini's followers here.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That brings up a question I had? I take it by Vayu's satement and statements I have seen in the past...the porcelien...or in my case, small abandoned canoe (j/k), solid and slippery enough to keep them down if they run abouts in it? Any escape experiences with any of you?

P.S. Forgive me for butting into your thread veronyka :}

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh and P.S.S., just as Jacen said, I always have to remove my Nazi usambara, for he will take no part in my tampering...I'm lucky if I get within 5 cenimeters of him with no less than 5 strikes on his behalf. :D And the cobalt is cool until you get up in her personal space...mine doesn't ever burrow...I even transferred her into a new enclosure, and started a burrow for her...she stilll never uses it. Quite odd I may add.

Love, peace, and chicken grease,
MArcus

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I believe the spiders can still climb(especially the arboreal ones, the terrestrials probably wouldnt) the tub pretty quickly, but quick comparitive analysis between a 1" - 7" spider in your room and under your dresser or in a tiled room with no hides shows the benefits of the latter.

-V