What countries allow legal exports of scorpions?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like by next Jan., I should be able to invest in an import license and/or pay for a couple of imports. As a little preperation, I'm trying to look at the best possible countries to do imports or trades with. So when the time comes, I can jump on it. For the winter/spring, obviously S. hemispheric countries are better, but why not just make a complete list? So if you know any countries laws on imports or exports, please add it here. Thanks! :D

USA-import/export permits required. special permit for cites species.

Mexico-no wc export allowed, unsure if paperworked cb allowed. collecting permit required even for Mexican nationals.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From South America: Venezuela, Peru and Guyana...I am not sure about others. I only know that Brazil is "closed" and recently also Suriname. For the latter country, it is rather easy for people from Guyana to cross the river, collect in Suriname and get back, especially if you give a little extra cash to the boatman...

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From South America: Venezuela, Peru and Guyana...I am not sure about others. I only know that Brazil is "closed" and recently also Suriname. For the latter country, it is rather easy for people from Guyana to cross the river, collect in Suriname and get back, especially if you give a little extra cash to the boatman...
Thanks!

Brazil is a bummer. They have so much bio-diversity it's unreal. And collecting 40 of each specie would have no effect on population. I'd love to lead the bulldozers. You know tons of species die out once they are cut and burned, then grazed. But like the boatman you mention, I'm not doing anything that could possibly maybe get me thrown in jail in South America. 6 months would be too much. Nope, they're closed or not for me.

Venezuela would be fun, I'm going to go look at the others.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Wow. Peru would be awesome. Venezuala would be amazing.

What do you know about these? (anyone else can chime in whenever. :D)
India, Israel, Indonesia, Yemen, Morroco, Libya, or South Africa? Thanks! :worship:

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For me too (closed is closed), although I might travel to Suriname again in a year or two and I'll try to arrange permits.
No scorpion is worth jailtime in a cell in South America.

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can only comment on South Africa, which is closed for exports. Even scientists have hard time trying to get export permits. I've heard some rumors that these laws were passed as a desperate move against wreckless overcollection and export of tarantulas and scorpions carried out by a few individuals a while back. Don't know how much there's into this, but it's a sad case if it's true. Sensible exports from this country could have provided our hobby with a plethora of very interesting buthids.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can only comment on South Africa, which is closed for exports. Even scientists have hard time trying to get export permits. I've heard some rumors that these laws were passed as a desperate move against wreckless overcollection and export of tarantulas and scorpions carried out by a few individuals a while back. Don't know how much there's into this, but it's a sad case if it's true. Sensible exports from this country could have provided our hobby with a plethora of very interesting buthids.
Thanks. And yes, it is sad. It shouldn't, but does often take only one individual. I don't think an outright ban ever helps either though. They could easily give permits on numbers/species/regions/etc. Still allow stable ethical collection of small numbers, yet protect them long term by cutting mass exports.