What can I use as substitute for Cork Barks?

ExoSpace

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I was wondering if I can use any other things rather than cork bark. It's really hard to find cork barks from my location...

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
I don’t buy cork barks, I walk outside and take pieces of wood home to use.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys I was wondering if I can use any other things rather than cork bark. It's really hard to find cork barks from my location...
You can use regular wood. But I would bake it first and let it dry out and kill anything. DO NOT USE CEDAR. Bamboo is another option.

ExoSpace

Arachnopeon
You can use regular wood. But I would bake it first and let it dry out and kill anything. DO NOT USE CEDAR. Bamboo is another option.
Do you boil the wood? And how long do you let it sit in the sun?

I don’t buy cork barks, I walk outside and take pieces of wood home to use.
Do you boil them first?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have a Black Walnut tree that I've pruned off some limbs. The pattern of the Black Walnuts' bark is pleasing and it is an easy tree for me to have access. After the cut limbs sit for awhile the bark will, fairly easily, slip right off. And I get tubes of bark, similar to Cork Bark. Other types of trees will work as well, stay away from pine and cedar trees, as the oils from these trees are volatile; and will irritate or harm your pet.

Always collect from areas where you know that NO Pesticides or Herbicides have been used.

I then taken the bark, or branches or leaves that I have collected and wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it in the oven at ~300 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. This temperature is low enough that I don't need to worry to much about a fire and high enough that it will kill most mold spores, pests and eggs found in my collected materials.

I do this when my wife is not home, because I do possess a survival instinct.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Cork is also quite expensive here.

This likely doesn't help you much in the Philippines, but it might give you ideas. I've been using birch firewood in enclosures for my drier species. Cheap and looks nice. The firewood is already kiln dried, so I just rinse it off and add it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can use anything as long as it is appropriate. Tarantulas doesnt care if it is a corkbark or a flowerpot

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Driftwood works very well also. I was just running through my various and sundry enclosures and I only have two or three out of about fifty in which I utilize cork bark. All others are driftwood and yard stuff. I usually limit the yard stuff to anchor pints for heavy webbing species. I really like the driftwood.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
i thought black walnut contained toxins....i know the nuts do.
Black Walnuts contain a compound called Juglens...it's a hormone that inhibits the growth and health of some types of plants, such as tomatoes. Tomatoes will not grow very well in close association with Walnut trees. If you put Walnut leaves in your compost, don't use that compost to grow tomatoes...I don't recall what other plants are affected, probably plants in the Night Shade Family.

Last edited: