What camera do you use?

TRection

Arachnoknight
After seeing some amazing pictures of T's and other critters on the forum im just wondering what camera do some of you use? I've just been using my phone for now and it really doesnt do any of my pets justice. Any recommendations?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
After seeing some amazing pictures of T's and other critters on the forum im just wondering what camera do some of you use?
Me? Sadly no one, my friend. Useless, one moment. Why? Well, every time I reach one of my enclosures my T's starts to panic and quickly 180° in their burrows.

Only the Goddess* (since she always lives 'down under') can understand me. Or an albino crocodile in a N.Y sewer for that matter, but that was time, time ago.

Sometimes I wonder... how a man can manage to proper quantify a bit of happiness? :( <-- sad Butters face

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) btw

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I was thinking of getting one of those phone camera attachment things that go over the phone lens
A cheap macro lens? Yeah, I'd like to compare shots using one of those compared to not. I think they work pretty well.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I have a Canon Rebel T4i to take my nicer photos of my Ts, though I will just as often use the camera on my iPhone 7+.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My bad, how do i move my thread?
Don't apologize, I was just pointing you in the direction of a subforum that might have better answered your question..

Pretty sure only mods can move threads, If they want it moved they will move it lol.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I've heard that how you take pictures is as important as what you take them with, but I don't know much of anything about photography so don't quote me. I do know that Jose (@Exoskeleton Invertebrates) takes some of the most true to life pictures I've seen. It's tough to replicate the beauty of a tan Aphonopelma with a camera, but he managed to do it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
After seeing some amazing pictures of T's and other critters on the forum im just wondering what camera do some of you use? I've just been using my phone for now and it really doesnt do any of my pets justice. Any recommendations?
I use a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS for still photos. It doesn't (as far as I know) support interchangeable lenses, but it does have a lot of customizable settings, including manual focus and exposure. This camera meets my needs as someone who wants better results and more options than a cell phone or compact point-and-shoot camera but doesn't know what to do with more complex DSLR cameras. (The newer SX60 model sells for about $450. I think I paid somewhere around $350-400 when my SX50 was new in May 2014.)

Here are some macro shots I took with this camera while holding it in my hands (click to enlarge):

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
A Sony A57 with a Sony 50mm macro lens for the most part. Sometimes I will use my Sony35mm f/1.8 or Tamron 100mm macro.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I use what's most convenient. Some of my best shots are taken with my phone. A tiny tripod supporting the phone and it'll come out pretty sharp. I have a beefy studio body with a 105mm macro, but 9/10 it's packed away and misses the moment.

For comparison purposes, here's two shots of my G. pulchra, one with my phone, and the other with my full frame body + external flash.
Asus Zenfone and desk lamp:

Nikon D4 with external flash:

When you zoom in 100% on the pixels you can see the difference in quality, but these new phones are more than capable of getting high quality images for web too :snaphappy::)

TRection

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the help everyone, im going to go ahead and pic up to phone lenses for the time being and then hopefully get my hands on something like the Canon @Ungoliant was talking about :D

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I uses a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS for still photos. It doesn't (as far as I know) support interchangeable lenses, but it does have a lot of customizable settings, including manual focus and exposure. This camera meets my needs as someone who wants better results and more options than a cell phone or compact point-and-shoot camera but doesn't know what to do with more complex DSLR cameras. (The newer SX60 model sells for about $450. I think I paid somewhere around $350-400 when my SX50 was new in May 2014.)
I have the Powershot SX-40 HS. Bought it in 2012, for around $400, as I recall. As per usual when I drop what I consider a considerable amount on something, within a few months a superior model was released. In this case, it was the SX-50. My choice was motivated much in the way yours was. I haven't produced many masterpieces from it, though, and do a little better with outdoor nature shots than with indoor macros

m_IMG_6062crop.jpg m_IMG_5818crop.jpg

m_IMG_5831crop.jpg

m_IMG_3821cropSharp.jpg

Attachments

TRection

Arachnoknight
I got the new lenses in yesterday, took some work to get them actually attached to my phone (i have an upgraded battery to the case they came with didn't work for my phone) but they work great! much better quality han the default camera :D

I had the spot light a little too bright, so ill know not to do that next time, but im still happy with these.
CameraZOOM-20170819163756623.jpg CameraZOOM-20170819163828524.jpg CameraZOOM-20170819164147671.jpg

This is with just normal flash
CameraZOOM-20170819163731335.jpg

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I got the new lenses in yesterday, took some work to get them actually attached to my phone (i have an upgraded battery to the case they came with didn't work for my phone) but they work great! much better quality han the default camera :D

I had the spot light a little too bright, so ill know not to do that next time, but im still happy with these.
View attachment 249450 View attachment 249451 View attachment 249452

This is with just normal flash
View attachment 249453
if you put a piece of translucent white cloth (or 1 ply paper towel) over the enclosure, it'll minimize the highlight and soften the shadows :)

*edit* Nice shots BTW :snaphappy: