what bug is this

kaitlin459

Arachnopeon
My question is: what bug is this? found a few in my apartment last year and they returned this year they always seem to come around this time of year found a few outside my door. im in tucson arizona the exterminator that our apartment complex uses says that they are a palm tree budworm since i have a palm tree a few feet from my door

some info you might find useful i have seen them both inside my apt and outside near my door in that pinkish color as well as a yellow and yellowish brown color they dont seem to get much bigger than the one in the picture before i dispose of them

i have tried several different bug related forums and groups no one seems to know what this is and im desperate IMAG00813.jpg

kaitlin459

Arachnopeon
@chanda looks like you may be right they look like palm bud worms just wish i knew how ot get rid of them since they somehow seem to keep sneaking into my apt even tho my door is closed as tight as can be

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@chanda the pic you posted in your reply looks similar altho the ones i see in ym apt are yellowish in color deff not any bigger than in the pic you sent
Yes, the color can range from whitish to tan to pink. They spend their larva-hood in palm trees, but when they're ready to pupate, they go wandering off in search of a suitable spot - which sometimes takes them indoors.

Compare to this one: http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2010/02/carpet-caterpillar.html or this one:

kaitlin459

Arachnopeon
@chanda thank you so much i will speak with the exterminator when he comes on friday and see how we can address these unwanted guests that sneak into my home thankfully i have laminate wood floor no carpet so they are easy to spot

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
@chanda thank you so much i will speak with the exterminator when he comes on friday and see how we can address these unwanted guests that sneak into my home thankfully i have laminate wood floor no carpet so they are easy to spot
There’s no need to exterminate them, unlikely anything can be done as they aren’t nesting in your home.