What brand or kind of alcohol do you use to preserve your True Spiders?

ZyklonG

Arachnopeon
I have heard Ethyl and Isopropyl, anywhere from 70-80%, but I'd like some first hand accounts, any suggestions?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've used ethanol and isopropyl and they both work pretty well. I use mostly isopropyl now because I'm not at a university anymore so it's a lot harder to get ethanol for a decent price, whereas isopropyl is cheap and readily available at most stores. Sadly no matter what preservative you use you're going to have discoloration and color fading of your specimens. Supposedly isopropyl makes the specimens brittle over time, but I've had some stored that way for a couple years and I haven't noticed them becoming that stiff and brittle.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I use ethanol bought from the liquor store under the brand name Everclear. It is sold in 1.75 liter bottles in 95% APV in my area which I have to dilute to 70-80% with distilled water. Apparently, it can be found in some places in 75% APV which would be perfect, but I can't find it anywhere in my city. I used to use 70% isopropyl alcohol from the drug store, but got sick of the fumes.