What baby jumper is this?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Found this cool little guy while doing yard work, just curious what species. I'm in Albuquerque, NM, if that helps...
20220424_125827.jpg 20220424_211837.jpg
20220424_211938.jpg
20220424_211945.jpg

I feel like I got surprisingly good pics with my crappy phone camera, especially considering this little guy is only about 5mm leg span.

@Nicole C G or @Wolfram1 - any ideas?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Found this cool little guy while doing yard work, just curious what species. I'm in Albuquerque, NM, if that helps...
View attachment 416517 View attachment 416518
View attachment 416519
View attachment 416520

I feel like I got surprisingly good pics with my crappy phone camera, especially considering this little guy is only about 5mm leg span.

@Nicole C G or @Wolfram1 - any ideas?
It is a male. Habronattus species. Perhaps Habronattus geronimoi. They are found exactly where you are.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It is a male. Habronattus species. Perhaps Habronattus geronimoi. They are found exactly where you are.
Thanks! It's an adult? I'll have to go collect a few aphids to feed it - I'm sure that's what it had been eating considering where I found it. Not going to keep it long term, just wanted to find out what it was and see if I can maybe get it to eat a time or 2. Then I'll let it go to wreak havoc on the damn aphids!

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Thanks! It's an adult? I'll have to go collect a few aphids to feed it - I'm sure that's what it had been eating considering where I found it. Not going to keep it long term, just wanted to find out what it was and see if I can maybe get it to eat a time or 2. Then I'll let it go to wreak havoc on the damn aphids!
Yes adult or close to. Eat those aphids little guy!

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
this is a subadult, has one more molt. Get those fruit flies ready! thats about all they can eat at their size. I have my own mealworm colonies and can feed jumpers of this size baby mealworms though too. theyre very cute, stay quite small, and may or may not make little burrow type hammocks on the ground and among rocks and cracks near the floor more than up top.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys, I found this little guy walking across my workbench while I was getting some crickets unpacked last night. Do you think it's a baby Habronattus like the bigger one I found? It's about 1/8 the size of the last one, and I managed to catch a minuscule gnat that it seems to have caught and is eating.
20220611_114813.jpg
20220610_201821.jpg
20220610_201345.jpg

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Hey guys, I found this little guy walking across my workbench while I was getting some crickets unpacked last night. Do you think it's a baby Habronattus like the bigger one I found? It's about 1/8 the size of the last one, and I managed to catch a minuscule gnat that it seems to have caught and is eating.
View attachment 420911
View attachment 420912
View attachment 420913
It does look similar to the sub-adult one, but I can’t say what it is.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
the legs III dont look that pronouned to be a habronattus, but with the very young slings sometimes its a littler harder to tell. but it does resemble one a lot. what state was it found?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
the legs III dont look that pronouned to be a habronattus, but with the very young slings sometimes its a littler harder to tell. but it does resemble one a lot. what state was it found?
New Mexico, Albuquerque is what the OP said I think

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
New Mexico, Albuquerque
Yep, Albuquerque. I managed to find some FFF that were small enough for it to take, so it's eaten a couple times now - the flies are at least the same size as it, but that hasn't deterred it! Seems to be making a web hammock on the lid of the condiment cup it's in now. It would be great if this tiny sling were able to grow up some in my care!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Update on this little one:

Thirteen days since I found it and I've learned some tricks to caring for it. It's still tiny - maybe 2mm leg span - but it's tenacious and takes down fruit flies that are almost bigger that it is! It seems happy in the little condiment cup enclosure and has made a web hammock on the lid that it spends much time in (except when I open it to add water or flies, then it jumps onto one of the stands of moss and waits for the next victim). I got a camera that actually takes close up pics of it pretty well, so here are some new ones that might help with an ID:
P6240009.JPG
P6240007.JPG
P6240004.JPG
P6240003.JPG
P6240001.JPG

I'm not really concerned with identifying it, just curious. I'm happy that I've worked out how to care for it, though, because it's fun to have the tiniest sling with a huge personality - this guy is so inquisitive and active, which is quite a bit different from my T's!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Little sling molted this week. Went from just over 2mm to just under 4mm, so got quite a bit bigger, but it's still tiny. My son named it Orion.
P6300003.JPG
P7010011.JPG
P7010012.JPG
P7010007.JPG

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
its a phidippus baby, probably phidippus audax. it doesnt have any extra eyelashes so its not putnami.
but itll become more apparent with every molt
That's awesome - so it'll eventually get bigger than I was anticipating. I was looking at Habronattus species that are adult at less than a 1/4". It has undergone quite a transformation since I first found it, especially in it's markings. Thanks for the help!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm a bit confused, is there 2 different spiders in this thread? The last one posted definitely looks like a P audax.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I'm a bit confused, is there 2 different spiders in this thread? The last one posted definitely looks like a P audax.
Yes, 2 different specimens. Found the first one about 2 months ago and it was identified as potentially a Habronattus species. I found the second one several weeks ago and it looked pretty similar to the first one, but it was much smaller. There was some thinking that it might be a sling of the same type (Habronattus sp), but as it has grown and molted recently, it is now looking like it's a Phidippus audax. Sorry for the confusion!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats on finding an audax. They are an awesome species to work with, tons of personality, usually quite tame, great feeding response, one of the biggest jumper species, and not as delicate as P regius.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Ty for linking me @NMTs I do love a jumping spider watching this thread now so you'll have to do regular updates.... please 🤣

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Here's some fresh pics of Orion, the P. audax sling. I used some new tech to get these shots - my camera can be controlled remotely from an app on my phone, so I set it up on a tripod and activated the shutter remotely to avoid any shaking. I think they turned out pretty good, and the model is super cute...
P7040005.JPG
P7040008.JPG
P7040010.JPG
P7040011.JPG